Overdamped vs underdamped Langevin

• Thread starter LagrangeEuler
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the overdamped and underdamped Langevin equations and the role of the damping parameter in their derivation. The index ##i## in the equations represents particle labels. The speaker also requests for more information on the physical system and a reference for the relation between overdamped and underdamped equations.
LagrangeEuler
If overdamped equation looks like
##\dot{x}_i=x_{i+1}+x_{i-1}-2x_i-V'(x_i)+F(t)##
How to write down the underdamped Langevin equation
##\ddot{x}_i+\gamma\dot{x}_i=\gamma x_{i+1}+\gamma x_{i-1}-2 \gamma x_i-\gamma V'(x_i)+\gamma F(t)##
Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does look like the ##\gamma## has been absorbed into the terms. But I guess it could have been used to redefine the length scale, so I'm sure that multiplying everything by ##\gamma## is the right thing to do. You have to go back to the derivation of the equation.

And what does the index ##i## stand for?

It labels particles. For example particle ##i## has neirest neighbours ##i-1## and ##i+1##.

LagrangeEuler said:
It labels particles. For example particle ##i## has neirest neighbours ##i-1## and ##i+1##.

Then I really need more information on the physical system you are considering before I can be of any help.

http://allariz.uc3m.es/~anxosanchez/ep/prb_50_9652_94.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at equation (1) in that paper, they have the damping parameter ##\alpha##. I skimmed through the article, and couldn't find any indication that they are considering an overdamped regime, or indeed the first equation you gave in the OP.

I known. But I'm interesting in that relation. Do you know some reference where I can find it? How could you always get from overdamped, underdamped and vice versa?

Related to Overdamped vs underdamped Langevin

1. What is the difference between overdamped and underdamped Langevin?

Overdamped Langevin describes a system where the damping force is large enough to quickly bring the system to equilibrium, resulting in no oscillatory behavior. Underdamped Langevin, on the other hand, describes a system where the damping force is small and the system exhibits oscillatory behavior before reaching equilibrium.

2. How does the damping coefficient affect the behavior of a Langevin system?

The damping coefficient determines the strength of the damping force, which affects how quickly the system reaches equilibrium. A larger damping coefficient results in a faster approach to equilibrium, while a smaller damping coefficient allows for oscillatory behavior before reaching equilibrium.

3. Can a Langevin system exhibit both overdamped and underdamped behavior?

Yes, a Langevin system can exhibit both overdamped and underdamped behavior depending on the value of the damping coefficient. If the damping coefficient is between the critical damping values, the system will exhibit underdamped behavior, while values outside of this range will result in overdamped behavior.

4. How does thermal noise affect the behavior of a Langevin system?

Thermal noise is a random force that is present in all Langevin systems. This noise can cause fluctuations in the system's position and velocity, leading to deviations from the expected behavior. In underdamped systems, thermal noise can cause fluctuations in the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, while in overdamped systems, it can lead to small random changes in the position of the system.

5. What are the applications of the Langevin equation in science and engineering?

The Langevin equation is commonly used in various fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is used to describe the behavior of complex systems, such as Brownian motion, chemical reactions, and biological processes. It is also used in various simulation techniques, such as molecular dynamics simulations, to model the behavior of systems at the atomic level.

Back