Overloaded equal sign = and the word is

• Thread starter Alain De Vos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign
In summary, the use of the equal symbol "=" and the word "is" in math and language can be confusing as they have multiple meanings. However, in mathematics, the equal symbol is never overloaded as it is always used for equality. There are some programming languages that use = for assignment, but they use a different symbol for equality. In typeset math, there are symbols for other types of equality, such as \equiv and \cong. Overall, there are no generally accepted alternatives to the "=" sign in math and it is crucial to use it correctly to avoid ambiguity.
Alain De Vos
Problem,the equal symbol "=" in math is overloaded , as is the word "is" in language.
Is there a list of all the meanings of = in math and the word is.
For instance "is" can mean equal to , or element of a set.
Are there generally accepted alternatives to the "=" sign, so one can be more specific.
For instance := for equal per definition.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why is it a problem that it's used extensively? As long as there is no ambiguity revolving around its use, I don't see how it could be a problem.

Notation is simply about communicating ideas. So in an expression like 2 + 3 = 5, it's pretty clear what "=" denotes. When talking about isomorphism, congruence or some other type of "equality", :=, ≡, ⇔, ≈, etc. are used accordingly.

I find there's no need to be more specific. Mathematics is perfectly scrutinizing as it is (I don't mean that in a bad way). These are just symbols; a good math paper would be sure that there's no ambiguity in notation.

By the way, you wouldn't say "x is S" to mean x ∈ S, right? You would say "x is in S".

Alain De Vos said:
Problem,the equal symbol "=" in math is overloaded , as is the word "is" in language.
Is there a list of all the meanings of = in math and the word is.
For instance "is" can mean equal to , or element of a set.
Are there generally accepted alternatives to the "=" sign, so one can be more specific.
For instance := for equal per definition.

Actually, = is never overloaded in math.

It's an assignment operator in some programming languages; but every language that uses = for assignment uses == for equality, so there's confusion sometimes, but never overloading within a programming language or within math.

In typeset math they use [itex]\equiv[/itex] for mod equivalence, and [itex]\cong[/itex] for isomorphism. They never use = for anything but equality, as far as I know. Of course I could be wrong ... but I really don't think there are many alternate meanings or usage of = in math.

I think the main area where = is overloaded is in writing ASCII math, since there aren't any symbols for congruence, isomorphism, etc.

I can understand the confusion and potential for ambiguity when it comes to the equal sign "=" and the word "is" in mathematics and language. In mathematics, the equal sign is used to represent the relationship between two quantities that have the same value. However, it can also have other meanings depending on the context, such as indicating a definition or a logical statement.

Similarly, the word "is" in language can have multiple meanings, such as indicating existence or equivalence. In mathematics, it is commonly used to indicate an element of a set, but it can also be used in other contexts.

To answer your question, there is no definitive list of all the meanings of the equal sign in mathematics and the word "is" in language. However, there are generally accepted alternatives that can be used to be more specific and avoid confusion. For example, in mathematics, the symbol ":=" is often used to indicate an equal per definition, as you mentioned. Other symbols, such as "≡" for congruence or "≈" for approximation, can also be used to specify the type of equality being represented.

In language, using specific words or phrases can help clarify the meaning of "is" in a sentence. For instance, instead of saying "A is B," one could say "A is equivalent to B" or "A is an element of the set B."

Overall, it is important to be aware of the potential for confusion when using the equal sign and the word "is," and to use specific language and symbols to accurately convey the intended meaning.

FAQ: Overloaded equal sign = and the word is

1. What does an overloaded equal sign mean?

An overloaded equal sign is used in programming languages to assign a value to a variable or to compare two values. It can also be used to perform mathematical operations.

2. How is an overloaded equal sign different from a regular equal sign?

An overloaded equal sign can perform multiple functions, such as assigning a value, comparing values, or performing operations. A regular equal sign can only assign a value.

3. What is the purpose of using the word "is" after an overloaded equal sign?

The word "is" is often used after an overloaded equal sign to indicate a comparison between two values. It can also be used to clarify the meaning of the statement.

4. Can an overloaded equal sign be used with different data types?

Yes, an overloaded equal sign can be used with different data types. However, the operation performed will depend on the data types of the values being compared or assigned.

5. Are there any potential errors when using an overloaded equal sign and the word "is"?

As with any programming language, there is always a possibility of errors when using an overloaded equal sign and the word "is". It is important to ensure that the values being compared or assigned are of the same data type to avoid unexpected results.

Back