P-Value for Correlation Comparison: Using SAS/SPSS

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of SAS or SPSS to obtain the p-value for two separate predictor variables, x and y, with a response variable z. The t-test is suggested as a method to compare the significance of the correlation analysis between x and z and y and z. The speaker also mentions using a regression model to "trick" the software into producing a correlation coefficient. The theory behind this approach is the linear regression model or linear optimization, specifically the Chow test for pooling of two datasets.
zli034
Say I have 2 separate predictor variables x and y.

And the response variable is z. The correlation between x and z is a; the correlation between y and z is b.

How to get the p-value for a = b? By using SAS or SPSS.

I believe we should use t-test. Because the correlation analysis for only 1 correlation is significant or not is compared to 0 by t-test.

I kind have some ideas to work this out on paper, but it is complicated to perform and consider normality, variances, and degree of freedom. I'm looking for a software package to do this simply.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to "trick" the software, by running the regression

Z = b0 + b1 D + b2 W + b3 X + u

where
Z = [z z]'
D = [0 1]'
W = [y x]'
X = [0 x]'
0 is the zero vector
1 is a vector of 1's (sometimes called a summation vector)
u is the random error.

The t statistic of b3 is a test of whether the regression coefficient on y is different from that on x. However, a regression coefficient is not the same as a correlation coefficient, although they are very similar; and you'll need to scale your data (with the appropriate standard deviation ratio) to manipulate the software to produce a correlation coefficient "under the guise" of a regression coefficient.

Last edited:
What is the theory behind this?

zli034 said:
What is the theory behind this?
To be general about it, the "theory" is the linear regression model, or even more generally, linear optimization. However, I suspect you are asking a more specific question. The model I've suggested is a shortcut for performing the Chow test for pooling of two datasets.

Last edited:
Cool. I'll beware of this Chow test

Related to P-Value for Correlation Comparison: Using SAS/SPSS

What is a P-value for correlation comparison?

A P-value for correlation comparison is a statistical measure that indicates the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. It is used to determine if there is a statistically significant relationship between the variables or if the relationship is due to chance.

How is a P-value for correlation comparison calculated?

A P-value for correlation comparison is calculated using a formula that takes into account the sample size, the correlation coefficient, and the degrees of freedom. This formula is implemented in statistical software, such as SAS or SPSS, to produce the P-value.

What does a low P-value for correlation comparison indicate?

A low P-value for correlation comparison, typically less than 0.05, indicates that there is a statistically significant relationship between the two variables. This means that the observed correlation between the variables is unlikely to occur by chance alone.

Can a P-value for correlation comparison be negative?

No, a P-value for correlation comparison cannot be negative. It is always a positive value between 0 and 1. A negative correlation coefficient indicates a negative relationship between the variables, but the P-value is a measure of the strength and significance of the relationship, not its direction.

How do I interpret a P-value for correlation comparison?

To interpret a P-value for correlation comparison, you must compare it to a predetermined significance level, typically 0.05. If the P-value is less than the significance level, then the relationship between the variables is considered statistically significant. If the P-value is greater than the significance level, then the relationship is not considered statistically significant.