Pain Threshold - Reducing Intensity

In summary, the conversation discusses the noise intensity of a jet engine at a distance of 30 m, which is 130 dB and known as the "pain threshold". It then poses a question of how far one must be from the jet for the noise to decrease to 62.2 dB, comparable to a spoken conversation. The formula I2/I1 = A1/A2 = 4pi(r1^2)/ 4pi(r2^2) was attempted to solve this, but the result was incorrect. Further assistance is needed to manipulate the equations and arrive at the correct answer in meters, to three significant figures.
05holtel

Homework Statement

At a distance of 30 m the noise from the engine of an jet has an intensity of 130 dB.

At this level, you will be in pain and your ears will hurt. That's why this intensity is know as the "pain threshold".

How far do you have to be from a jet (total distance), in order for the noise to drop down in intensity to 62.2 dB, a level comparable to that of a spoken conversation?

Express the result in the unit m, and to three significant figures.

Homework Equations

I think Intensity is proportional to (1/r^2)

I = (dE/dt) / 4pi(r^2)

I=1/2v(w^2)(A^2) where w = the angular frequency and A - the amplitude

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to manipulate the equations

Physics news on Phys.org
PLease help

I was trying the formula I2/I1 = A1/A2 = 4pi(r1^2)/ 4pi(r2^2)

I got 30.4 which is wrong

to solve for the distance. However, I can provide some information on the pain threshold and how it relates to intensity.

The pain threshold, also known as the pain tolerance level, is the point at which a stimulus is perceived as painful. In the case of sound, this threshold is typically around 120 dB for most individuals. This means that at an intensity of 120 dB, the sound is perceived as painful.

In order to reduce the intensity of the sound from 130 dB to 62.2 dB, we can use the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of a sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that if we double the distance from the source, the intensity will decrease by a factor of 4.

Using this information, we can set up the following equation:

130 dB / 62.2 dB = (30 m / x m)^2

Solving for x, we get x = 60.1 m. This means that in order for the intensity of the sound from the jet to drop from 130 dB to 62.2 dB, you would need to be 60.1 m away from the jet.

It is also important to note that the pain threshold can vary from person to person and can also be affected by factors such as age, exposure to loud noises, and individual sensitivity. Therefore, the exact distance may vary for different individuals.

Related to Pain Threshold - Reducing Intensity

What is pain threshold?

Pain threshold is the level of pain that a person can tolerate before it becomes unbearable. It varies from person to person and can also change depending on factors such as age, gender, and overall health.

How is pain threshold measured?

Pain threshold is typically measured using a scale of 0-10, with 0 being no pain and 10 being the worst pain imaginable. This can be done through self-reporting by the individual, or by using objective measures such as the amount of pressure or heat needed to elicit a pain response.

What factors can influence pain threshold?

Several factors can influence pain threshold, including genetics, age, gender, overall health and fitness, psychological factors, and previous experiences with pain. Additionally, certain medications and substances, such as alcohol and drugs, can also affect pain threshold.

How can pain threshold be increased?

Pain threshold can be increased through various methods, such as regular exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, getting enough sleep, practicing relaxation techniques, and using pain management strategies such as distraction and positive thinking. Certain medications, such as pain relievers and antidepressants, may also help to increase pain threshold.

Can pain threshold be permanently increased?

While pain threshold can be temporarily increased through various methods, it is unlikely to be permanently increased. However, consistently practicing healthy habits and using pain management strategies can help to improve overall pain tolerance and make it easier to cope with pain in the future.