Pair Production: Electron/Positron from Photon Collisions?

In summary, two photons can collide to create an electron and a positron. This is a common occurrence, although it is a rare event.
Zman
In Pair Production where a high energy photon collides with a nucleus a positron and an electron may result.
But I have also come across references that say that two high energy photons can collide with each other to produce an electron and a positron.
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is correct but the probability of a photon/photon encounter is very small.

Two separate processes.

Zman said:
In Pair Production where a high energy photon collides with a nucleus a positron and an electron may result.
But I have also come across references that say that two high energy photons can collide with each other to produce an electron and a positron.
Is this correct?

Just in case it isn't clear, the gamma-gamma collision so far is only a prediction of QED and has not been shown yet experimentally, whereas the pair production from a single photon near a nucleus is a common occurrence.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Just in case it isn't clear, the gamma-gamma collision so far is only a prediction of QED and has not been shown yet experimentally, whereas the pair production from a single photon near a nucleus is a common occurrence.

I don't think that's true. You have tagged two-photon events: a colliding beam of electrons and positrons where each radiates a photon and the photons merge: e.g. [itex]e^+ + e^- \rightarrow e^+ + e^- + e^+ + e^- [/itex]. The momentum of each photon is "tagged" by measuring the recoil electron/positron. See Z.Phys.C30:545,1986 (as an example).

From the ref Z.Phys.C30:545,1986 it seems that there is good evidence for photon-photon collisions.
Then surely low energy photons can also collide. If they don’t produce particles do they just deflect off each other? If they deflect off each other to any extent, wouldn’t that produce a lot of noise in vision?

Does this visual noise exist?

If you want to produce an electron and a positron, input photons must carry enough energy (511 kev each). That's far beyond visible light.

Low energy photons can scatter off each other too, but, firstly, that's a higher-order process, secondly, the likelihood of interaction goes down as the sixth power of energy, and it's so tiny at visible light energies that it's almost impossible to observe, even with high-powered lasers.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think that's true. You have tagged two-photon events: a colliding beam of electrons and positrons where each radiates a photon and the photons merge: e.g. [itex]e^+ + e^- \rightarrow e^+ + e^- + e^+ + e^- [/itex]. The momentum of each photon is "tagged" by measuring the recoil electron/positron. See Z.Phys.C30:545,1986 (as an example).

Oops.. you are right. I forgot about the stuff that was done at TESLA.

I suppose I was actually looking for a direct gamma-gamma collision rather than by photons that were produced internally at the interaction point itself. What I had in mind was more along what was published by J. Gronberg Nuc. Phys. B v.126, p.375 (2004).

Oh well...

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I suppose I was actually looking for a direct gamma-gamma collision rather than by photons that were produced internally at the interaction point itself.

As you know, it is much easier to produce a high brightness electron beam (at least at GeV energies) than a high brightness photon beam. So the easiest way to get at this kind of physics is to make the photons just before you need them: at the collision point. Also, there are other reasons to do e+ e- collisions, so this measurement ends up being a bonus on top of the mainline physics program.

Indeed, the JADE experiment was more interested in discovering the gluon.

Although photon-photon collisions are quite rare these days, immediately after the big bang they were quite common, being responsible for the creation of matter.

mathman said:
Although photon-photon collisions are quite rare these days, immediately after the big bang they were quite common, being responsible for the creation of matter.

Interesting but it is easy to think that it raises more difficult questions than it answer such as the perennial ...Where is the antimatter?

Dadface said:
Interesting but it is easy to think that it raises more difficult questions than it answer such as the perennial ...Where is the antimatter?
That is one of the unsolved problems of modern physics. Qualitatively it appears to be related to CP violation (matter and anti-matter behave differently), but a quantitative theory has not been found.

Related to Pair Production: Electron/Positron from Photon Collisions?

1. What is pair production?

Pair production is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) can be converted into an electron and a positron (a particle with the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge). This process occurs when the photon has enough energy to create the mass of the two particles.

2. How does pair production occur?

Pair production can occur when a high-energy photon interacts with a nucleus or an electric field. The energy of the photon is converted into the mass of the electron and positron, which then appear as separate particles.

3. What is the role of energy in pair production?

The energy of the photon is crucial for pair production to occur. The photon must have enough energy to create the mass of the electron and positron, which is equivalent to twice the mass of an electron. If the photon does not have enough energy, pair production cannot occur.

4. What are the applications of pair production?

Pair production has several applications in different fields. In particle physics, it is used to study the properties of electrons and positrons. In medical imaging, it is used in positron emission tomography (PET) scans to produce images of the body's organs and tissues. It is also used in the production of antimatter for research purposes.

5. Is pair production a reversible process?

Yes, pair production is a reversible process. The electron and positron produced can collide and annihilate each other, releasing two photons with energies equivalent to their masses. This process is known as pair annihilation.