Pairwise/Mutual Independence of Events: Tossing Red/Blue Dice

In summary, the events A, B, and C are not mutually exclusive or independent, but they are not pairwise either.
drawar

Homework Statement

Toss a pair of fair dice, one in red and the other is blue. Define the events
A={Red dice showing 1 or 2 or 3}
B={Red dice showing 3 or 4 or 5}
C={The sum of points on the two dice equals 9}
Are the 3 events pairwise independent? mutually independent? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

Events A and B are independent if and only if P(A intersection B) = P(A) x P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

P(A)=P(B)=1/2
P(C)=4/36=1/9 (Since 9=3+6=4+5=5+4=6+3)

P(A intersection B) = P(Red *dice* showing 3) = 1/6 *should be die*
P(A intersection C) = 1/36 (Since the only possible combination that results in 9 is 3+6)
Likewise, P(B intersection C) = 3/36 = 1/12

It can be seen that P(A intersection B) ≠ P(A) x P(B) so A and B are not independent. The same conclusion can be made for A and C, B and C.
Therefore, A, B, C are neither pairwise independent nor mutually independent.

Above is my first try at the problem but I'm not sure if it's correct or not. Would appreciate it if someone would help me clarify this, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
drawar said:

Homework Statement

Toss a pair of fair dice, one in red and the other is blue. Define the events
A={Red dice showing 1 or 2 or 3}
B={Red dice showing 3 or 4 or 5}
C={The sum of points on the two dice equals 9}
Are the 3 events pairwise independent? mutually independent? Justify your answer.
They are neither independent nor mutually exclusive because all three include "red die shows 3". By the way, "red dice" is grammatically incorrect because "dice" is the plural of "die".

Homework Equations

Events A and B are independent if and only if P(A intersection B) = P(A) x P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

P(A)=P(B)=1/2
P(C)=4/36=1/9 (Since 9=3+6=4+5=5+4=6+3)

P(A intersection B) = P(Red dice showing 3) = 1/6
P(A intersection C) = 1/36 (Since the only possible combination that results in 9 is 3+6)
Likewise, P(B intersection C) = 3/36 = 1/12

It can be seen that P(A intersection B) ≠ P(A) x P(B) so A and B are not independent. The same conclusion can be made for A and C, B and C.
Therefore, A, B, C are neither pairwise independent nor mutually independent.

Above is my first try at the problem but I'm not sure if it's correct or not. Would appreciate it if someone would help me clarify this, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad, should have been
A={Red die showing 1 or 2 or 3}
B={Red die showing 3 or 4 or 5}

Thanks for spotting them.

Apart from this stupid grammatical error, is there anything wrong with my reasoning?

Last edited:
drawar said:
My bad, should have been
A={Red die showing 1 or 2 or 3}
B={Red die showing 3 or 4 or 5}

Thanks for spotting them.

Apart from this stupid grammatical error, is there anything wrong with my reasoning?

Your reasoning is fine.

RGV

FAQ: Pairwise/Mutual Independence of Events: Tossing Red/Blue Dice

What is pairwise independence of events?

Pairwise independence of events refers to the statistical concept where the occurrence or non-occurrence of one event does not affect the probability of another event occurring. In other words, the events are considered to be unrelated or independent of each other.

What is mutual independence of events?

Mutual independence of events refers to the statistical concept where the occurrence or non-occurrence of multiple events do not affect the probability of each other. This means that the events are considered to be independent of each other, even when more than two events are involved.

How is pairwise independence of events determined?

Pairwise independence of events can be determined by calculating the joint probability of the events and comparing it to the individual probabilities. If the joint probability is equal to the product of the individual probabilities, then the events are considered to be pairwise independent.

How is mutual independence of events determined?

Mutual independence of events can be determined by calculating the joint probability of all the events and comparing it to the product of the individual probabilities. If the joint probability is equal to the product of the individual probabilities, then the events are considered to be mutually independent.

How does tossing red/blue dice demonstrate pairwise and mutual independence?

When tossing red and blue dice, the events of getting a particular number on one die does not affect the probability of getting a particular number on the other die. This demonstrates pairwise independence. Additionally, the outcomes of each die do not affect each other, demonstrating mutual independence.

Back