Paper Bridge Project: Design for Holding 20+ lbs with 1 Sheet of Paper

In summary: Then just squeeze and it will stay rolled.Kidding; the easiest way would be to carefully cut a slit and use a T-shaped piece at the end of the roll and slip that through a horizontal slit cut in the sidewall of the roll. Then just squeeze and it will stay rolled.
svaningen
Paper bridge project !

hi i have a paper bridge project coming up and need some help making a design that will hold the most. the rules are the bridge has to made with one sheet of lined paper and no adhesives are aloud including tape and glue. the bridge needs to span 12 cms and hold as much as possible. past designs have held more than 20 lbs. any help will be much appreciated

thanx,
stefan

Physics news on Phys.org

I assume the single sheet of paper must be foldeded into shape and neither torn nor cut?

it can be cut but that would ruin the integrity of the paper

i would make one that looks like the letter A

WhoWee said:
I assume the single sheet of paper must be foldeded into shape and neither torn nor cut?

it can be cut or torn,

thehacker3 said:
it can be cut but that would ruin the integrity of the paper

i would make one that looks like the letter A

how would i make it into an A and hold as much as possible?

Think about what qualities the paper has, What qualities does the tape/string have? (edit: nm you aren't allowed them, in that case research joints).Also think about how bridges are loaded.

Hint: It depends on the shape of the material.As you've stated this is a project, I'll help you as though it were a homework question, so no freee answers :D

Last edited:

xxChrisxx said:
Also think about how bridges are loaded.

Consider the length of your bridge. Are there any specifications on ground clearance or number of points touching the ground?

WhoWee said:
Consider the length of your bridge. Are there any specifications on ground clearance or number of points touching the ground?

no the only rule is that it has to span 12cm

svaningen said:
no the only rule is that it has to span 12cm[/QUOTE

I would suggest a crease folding in a zigzag pattern ( fold on one side then other etc etc) out of two halfs, mayber you should use a bit of paper for tarmac and a small bit for holding the creases from unfolding horizontally ( there are paper binding solutions with no glue for this, so find one). 12 cm means you have plenty of paper.

Hand rolling makes for very stable paper rolls, without much effort. but to keep them rolled that is a problem.

Lok said:
Hand rolling makes for very stable paper rolls, without much effort. but to keep them rolled that is a problem.

Can you lick it? ;)

Kidding; the easiest way would be to carefully cut a slit and use a T-shaped piece at the end of the roll and slip that through a horizontal slit cut in the sidewall of the roll.

Related to Paper Bridge Project: Design for Holding 20+ lbs with 1 Sheet of Paper

1. How is it possible to hold 20+ lbs with just one sheet of paper?

The Paper Bridge Project utilizes the principles of engineering and physics to distribute weight and create a stable structure. By folding and manipulating the paper in specific ways, the bridge can support a significant amount of weight.

2. What materials are needed for this project?

The only material needed for the Paper Bridge Project is a single sheet of paper. However, additional materials such as scissors, tape, or glue can be used to enhance the design and stability of the bridge.

3. How long does it take to complete the Paper Bridge Project?

The time it takes to complete the project can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the skill level of the individual. On average, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to complete the project.

4. Can this project be done by children?

Yes, the Paper Bridge Project is suitable for children as it is a simple and fun way to introduce them to basic engineering and design principles. However, adult supervision may be required for younger children.

5. What educational value does the Paper Bridge Project offer?

The Paper Bridge Project is a hands-on activity that teaches children about the fundamentals of engineering, including the distribution of weight, load-bearing structures, and stability. It also encourages critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity.