Parabolas that intersect, tricky one

• Thread starter BlackWyvern
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the highest intersection point of two intersecting parabolas, one of which is on a rotated cartesian plane. The solution involves using polar coordinates and symmetry to find the angle and coordinates of the point of intersection, which is found to be (1+√2, (1+√2)^2).
BlackWyvern

Homework Statement

There are two parabolas which intersect.

One is y = x^2
The other is the same size, but is on a rotated cartesian plane, 45º CW of the first parabola.
Find the the highest intersection point.
6sahoyb.png

Homework Equations

Anything relevent.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I see that the fact there is an angle being used. So I think we'd need to get the parabolas in another co-ordinate system based on angles. Polar co-ordinates are there for us.

So I construct a triangle with x, y, r and theta. I need to get r in terms of theta.

For one, tan0 = y/x
y = x^2, as it's a parabola.

So

[tex]
tan\theta = x^2 / x,

tan\theta = x,

r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2},

r = \sqrt{x^2 + (x^2)^2},

r = \sqrt{x^2 + x^4},

r = \sqrt{tan^2\theta + tan^4\theta}[/tex]

So by changing the theta, I could rotate the parabola.
By adding 45º, (pi / 4), it would rotate it to the correct position.

So I need to solve:
[tex]
\sqrt{tan^2\theta + tan^4\theta} = \sqrt(tan^2(\theta + \pi/4) + tan^4(\theta + \pi/4))[/tex]

Here I get stuck. I can't seem to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used SOLVE on Mathematica 6; I got these 10 solutions. I guessed that on the right memeber of your equation the squared rooth is "covering" all the member.

{{\[Theta] -> -ArcCos[-1/2 Sqrt[2 - Sqrt[2]]]}, {\[Theta] ->
ArcCos[Sqrt[2 - Sqrt[2]]/2]}, {\[Theta] ->
ArcCos[-1/2 Sqrt[2 + Sqrt[2]]]}, {\[Theta] -> -ArcCos[Sqrt[
2 + Sqrt[2]]/
2]}, {\[Theta] -> -ArcCos[-1/2 Sqrt[
3 - 2 Sqrt[2] - \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[
7 - 4 Sqrt[2]]]]}, {\[Theta] ->
ArcCos[1/2 Sqrt[
3 - 2 Sqrt[2] - \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[
7 - 4 Sqrt[2]]]]}, {\[Theta] -> -ArcCos[-1/2 Sqrt[
3 - 2 Sqrt[2] + \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[
ArcCos[1/2 Sqrt[
3 - 2 Sqrt[2] + \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[
ArcCos[-Sqrt[
3/4 + 1/Sqrt[2] -
1/4 \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[7 + 4 Sqrt[2]]]]}, {\[Theta] -> -ArcCos[
Sqrt[3/4 + 1/Sqrt[2] -
1/4 \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[7 + 4 Sqrt[2]]]]}, {\[Theta] ->
ArcCos[-Sqrt[
3/4 + 1/Sqrt[2] +
1/4 \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[7 + 4 Sqrt[2]]]]}, {\[Theta] -> -ArcCos[
Sqrt[3/4 + 1/Sqrt[2] + 1/4 \[ImaginaryI] Sqrt[7 + 4 Sqrt[2]]]]}}

The second parabola is symmetric about the 45 degree angle line: the line y= x. The first is symmetric about x= 0 at 90 degrees from the x-axis. Their intersection must be on the line half way between 45 degrees and 90 degrees: 67.5 degrees from the x-axis. tan(67.5)= 1+ [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] so that is the line y= (1+[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex])x. What are the points of intersection of that line with y= x2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, HallsofIvy's answer is so simple and brilliant. I got the same answer as well, through solving that big tan equation. It left me with two positive angles, 7pi/8 and 3pi/8. I found the cartesian co-ordinates of the intersection, and noticed the decimal as .414, which is from root 2. After a little messing around, I saw the x-value was simply 1 + root2. Then, after a bit of messing with the y-co-ordinate, I saw that it was (1 + root2)^2. It has to be, since it's on the parabola y = x^2.

Thank you all for your help. I now feel reasonably able to solve this sort of problem if I ever have to. Using either symmetry or using polar algebra. :)

Related to Parabolas that intersect, tricky one

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is created by graphing a quadratic equation. It is a symmetrical curve that has an axis of symmetry.

2. How do you find the points where two parabolas intersect?

To find the points where two parabolas intersect, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the x-values. These x-values will be where the two parabolas intersect.

3. Can two parabolas intersect at more than two points?

No, two parabolas can only intersect at a maximum of two points. This is because a parabola is a quadratic equation, which can only have a maximum of two solutions.

4. Are there any special cases where parabolas can intersect at only one point?

Yes, if the two parabolas are actually the same curve, they will intersect at only one point. This is because the two equations will be equal to each other, resulting in only one solution.

5. How can you tell if two parabolas will intersect?

If the two parabolas have different equations, you can tell if they will intersect by graphing them or by solving the equations for the x-values and checking if they are equal. If the two parabolas have the same equation, they will always intersect at one point.