Parallel and perpendicular part of a vector

In summary, the conversation discusses how to resolve a force into perpendicular and parallel components. The attempt at a solution involves using trigonometric functions to find these components, but the given answers do not match the diagram. The method of using F*cos(θ) and F*sin(θ) to find the components is confirmed, but there is uncertainty about the accuracy of the given solutions.
cytochrome

Homework Statement

Resolve the force F into

a) a part perpendicular to AB and

b) a part parallel to BC

Homework Equations

a dot b = ab*cos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached my attempt in the .pdf file. For some reason it is wrong. I don't understand how my reasoning is incorrect.

The orange square in the picture is a supposed to be a wooden box in the problem, so that detail is not important to the problem.

Attachments

• Problem.pdf
    186.6 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you might want to check the angle given by arctan (3/5).

SteamKing said:
First, you might want to check the angle given by arctan (3/5).

Thanks for pointing that out, but the answer still comes out to be wrong even if I change that. Am I setting up the problem wrong?

Do you do F*cos(θ) to find a parallel component of F and F*sin(θ) to find a perpendicular part of F in general?

cytochrome said:
Thanks for pointing that out, but the answer still comes out to be wrong even if I change that. Am I setting up the problem wrong?
Are you sure that your initial diagram is correct? The given answers do not seem to match the diagram.

Do you do F*cos(θ) to find a parallel component of F and F*sin(θ) to find a perpendicular part of F in general?
Yes.

Doc Al said:
Are you sure that your initial diagram is correct? The given answers do not seem to match the diagram.

Yes.

Yes my diagram is correct. It's possible the solutions could be wrong, it's out of an old book... Anyways, I was wondering if my methodology was correct.

FAQ: Parallel and perpendicular part of a vector

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. What is the parallel part of a vector?

The parallel part of a vector is the component of the vector that is in the same direction as another vector. This can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the two vectors.

3. What is the perpendicular part of a vector?

The perpendicular part of a vector is the component of the vector that is perpendicular (90 degrees) to another vector. This can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle between the two vectors.

4. How can parallel and perpendicular parts of a vector be used in real life?

Understanding the parallel and perpendicular parts of a vector is useful in many real-life applications, such as engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, in engineering, the parallel and perpendicular components of a force vector can be used to calculate the amount of force needed to move an object in a specific direction. In navigation, the parallel and perpendicular parts of a velocity vector can be used to determine the speed and direction of a moving object.

5. How can the parallel and perpendicular parts of a vector be calculated?

The parallel and perpendicular parts of a vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions. To find the parallel part, multiply the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the direction it is being compared to. To find the perpendicular part, multiply the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle between the vector and the direction it is being compared to.

Back