Parallel and series arrangement

In summary: The voltage applied to each path is the same, and the current through each path is just the voltage divided by the resistance of that path. But when the paths come together the current from each is summed together. So the 'effective' resistance is less than the resistance of anyone path.
Lim Y K
Effective resistance in parallel is 1/r1+1/r2+1/r3. However, i don't get why there is lesser resistance when the bulbs are arranged in parallel. I thought arranging a circuit in parallel requires more wire(conductors) , which will increase the resistivity. can someone explain to me please? thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
There's more wire involved, but the various paths through the network don't have to travel through all of it so the resistance doesn't have to higher. If you work out the ##1/R_1+1/R_2## formula for yourself you'll see how this works:
- What is the current through R1?
- What is the current through R2?
- What is the total current through the network, and what does that tell you about the effective resistance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lim Y K said:
I thought arranging a circuit in parallel requires more wire(conductors) , which will increase the resistivity. can someone explain to me please?

Lengthening a single wire increases total resistance, but making the wire a larger diameter decreases it. By putting the light bulbs in parallel you are kind of doing the latter. As Nugatory said, there are multiple path choices, so any particular charge will only flow through one path and will only encounter resistance equal to one path.

Likes Lim Y K
Drakkith said:
Lengthening a single wire increases total resistance, but making the wire a larger diameter decreases it. By putting the light bulbs in parallel you are kind of doing the latter. As Nugatory said, there are multiple path choices, so any particular charge will only flow through one path and will only encounter resistance equal to one path.

I see. Then may I know why the total resistance in a parallel circuit is smaller than any of the individual resistance?

Lim Y K said:
I see. Then may I know why the total resistance in a parallel circuit is smaller than any of the individual resistance?

The voltage applied to each path is the same, and the current through each path is just the voltage divided by the resistance of that path. But when the paths come together the current from each is summed together. So the 'effective' resistance is less than the resistance of anyone path. I suggest doing what Nugatory suggested in post #2.

Lim Y K said:

As I said above, you should be able to derive the formula for yourself - when you do, you'll see why it makes sense. Start with ##V=IR##; a trivial rearrangement gives you ##R=V/I## which tells you what the effective resistance is if you know the voltage and the current through the network. ##I## is the sum of the currents through each path, so as you add paths while holding the voltage constant ##I## increases and ##R## decreases.

Don't take my word for it though - work it out for yourself so you know where the formula came from. The basic idea is in my post #2 above.

To help you conceptualize it, just think of water pipes connected to a water tower or something. Will two pipes in parallel carry more or less water than one pipe? What about a pipe twice as long (but dropping the same vertical distance)?

Related to Parallel and series arrangement

What is the difference between parallel and series arrangement?

Parallel arrangement refers to a circuit where the components are connected side by side, allowing multiple paths for the current to flow. Series arrangement, on the other hand, refers to a circuit where the components are connected one after the other, creating a single path for the current to flow.

Which arrangement is better for voltage and current?

In a parallel arrangement, the voltage across each component is the same, while the current is divided among the components. This makes it better for voltage. In a series arrangement, the voltage is divided among the components, while the current remains the same. This makes it better for current.

How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel or series arrangement?

In a parallel arrangement, the total resistance is calculated by adding the reciprocals of each component's resistance and then taking the reciprocal of the sum. In a series arrangement, the total resistance is simply the sum of each component's resistance.

What happens if one component fails in a parallel or series arrangement?

In a parallel arrangement, the other components will continue to function as normal as they have their own individual paths for the current to flow. In a series arrangement, the entire circuit will fail as the current cannot flow through the failed component, breaking the circuit.

Can I have both parallel and series arrangement in one circuit?

Yes, a combination of parallel and series arrangement is known as a complex circuit. This allows for a more efficient use of components and can provide different levels of voltage and current throughout the circuit.