Parallel and Series Resistor Simplification HELP

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying a circuit of resistors. The original problem involves finding the equivalent resistance and the value of R. The person is stuck at step 4/5 and asks for help. The solution is to remove an extra line in step 4 and to notice that the 30ohm resistor is shorted and does not affect the circuit. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use SPICE or similar tools to verify the solution.
nlm
Hi,

I need to simplify this circuit of resistors.

Homework Statement

Image of problem:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9206/resistor1.jpg

The Resistor equivalent is 9 ohms, and the solution for R is actually 15 ohms. However, I'm not sure how to get this answer. I think I am getting stuck at the point in my solution on step 4/5 where I seem to have 3 resistors connected to 1 node, but the circuit looks confusing.

I attempted to simplify the resistors in step 5 as resistors in parallel, but I don't think I am getting the right answer.

Homework Equations

parallel = 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3
Series = Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3

The Attempt at a Solution

Image of my solution:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4978/resistor2.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about the delayed response! :redface:

In step 4, there is an extra line that shouldn't be there. Erase the vertical line segment that is directly to the left of the Rp combination

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9206/resistor1.jpg

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4978/resistor2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere along the line (I prefer the beginning) you need to notice the 30ohm resistor is shorted and has nothing to do with your circuit. Visually, using your step 3, you can imagine the current exiting the 5Ohm taking the path of least resistance (the short circuit wire) and flowing through the 3 parallel resistors strands.

This type of problem is readily verifiable with SPICE, Multisim, similar EDA tools - where you can examine the current through each resistor.

Related to Parallel and Series Resistor Simplification HELP

1. What is the difference between parallel and series resistors?

Parallel resistors are connected side by side and have the same voltage across each resistor. The total resistance of parallel resistors is less than the resistance of any individual resistor. Series resistors are connected end to end and have the same current flowing through each resistor. The total resistance of series resistors is the sum of the individual resistances.

2. How do I simplify parallel resistors?

To simplify parallel resistors, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. This formula can be used for any number of parallel resistors.

3. How do I simplify series resistors?

To simplify series resistors, you can simply add up the individual resistances to find the total resistance. For example, if you have three resistors in series with resistances of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 60 ohms (10 + 20 + 30).

4. What is the purpose of simplifying resistors?

Simplifying resistors helps to make complex circuits easier to understand and analyze. It also allows us to calculate the total resistance and current in a circuit more accurately.

5. Can I simplify a circuit with both parallel and series resistors?

Yes, it is possible to simplify a circuit with both parallel and series resistors. You can simplify each section of the circuit separately and then combine the simplified values to find the overall resistance of the circuit.