Parallel Circuit 2 batteries, solving for current of resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a parallel circuit with multiple resistors and an unknown voltage. The equations of V=IR and Kirchoff's rules are used to determine the current and voltage values in the circuit. The expert suggests using the known voltage V1 across a branch to solve for the current I3 and then using the junction rule to find the total current I4. They also remind to pay attention to the polarity when finding the value of the unknown voltage E2.
SilentBlade91

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown in the figure below, calculate
the current I4 through the 2.18 resistor. As shown,
R1 = 4.20
R2 = 8.12
R3 = 6.10
R4 = 2.18

I1 = 3.16A and E1 = 18V

I couldn't get the picture on here but I will describe it:

It is a parallel circuit, with three lines from top to bottom,
on the top line from left to right is R1 (with I1 pointing right) and R2
on the middle line is R3 and E1 (battery) (from left to right it is + to -)
on the bottom line is E2 (unknown voltage, and is + to - from right to left) and R4 (with I4 pointing left).

Homework Equations

V=IR
Kirchoff's rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined 2 loop equations,

for the upper loop I thought that R1 and R2 would have the same current being in series so, i have: -I1R1-I1R2+18V+I3R3=0

and for the lower loop I have -I3R3-18V-I4R4+E2=0

For the first loop equation I solved for I3=3.43A then I thought (just a guess) that each line would add up to the same total voltage in relation to each other line. The upper two lines both came out to 38.9V so I thought I was right in guessing that. So I figured E2+I4R4=38.9V also.

So I used my -I3R3-18V-I4R4+E2=0 equation and substituted the E2 for 38.9V-I4R4 and solved for I4. It came out very close to zero, -.005275A to be exact. Does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this picture describe your circuit?

EDIT: I've massaged the circuit per your adjustment.

Attachments

• Loops2.jpg
    Loops2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
yes but the positive and negative are switched on e2

SilentBlade91 said:
yes but the positive and negative are switched on e2

Okay. I was just trying to follow your text description.:smile:

If you think about it, the current I1 in the top branch sets the voltage between the left and right vertical rails. V1 = I1(R1 + R2).

You should be able to work out the currents in each of the other branches by knowing the voltage that must be across them (V1).

gneill said:
Okay. I was just trying to follow your text description.:smile:

If you think about it, the current I1 in the top branch sets the voltage between the left and right vertical rails. V1 = I1(R1 + R2).

You should be able to work out the currents in each of the other branches by knowing the voltage that must be across them (V1).

Okay so solving for V1 i get 3.16A(4.20+8.12)=38.9312V

Then I use that and do what I said on the bottom horizontal line, set E2+I4R4=38.9312V and set it so E2=38.9312V-I4R4 and replace that into my bottom loop equation so..

-I3R3-18V-I4R4+38.9312V-I4R4=0

Then I solve for I4 and I get 0 which was not right.

I think that would be E2 - I4R4 = V1. The current I4 causes a right-to-left voltage drop.

But if I may suggest, You can easily solve for I3, the current though R3, because you have the voltage V1 across the branch. You also know that I4 = I1 + I3. So that gives you I4 as a known quantity. Finding E2 should be a piece of cake after that.

Ohhhh that is far simpler! Okay so I solved for I3 and had gotten 3.43A so I3+I1 would just be 3.43A+3.16A= 6.59A do you think this is correct? It makes sense to me because of the junction rule correct? Thank you for all your help btw!

Looks good from where I'm sitting!

Be careful of the polarity of E2 when you go for its value.

Cheers.

Related to Parallel Circuit 2 batteries, solving for current of resistor

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in such a way that there are multiple paths for the current to flow. This means that each component in the circuit has its own separate branch and the total current is divided among the branches.

2. How do you solve for the current in a resistor in a parallel circuit with 2 batteries?

To solve for the current in a resistor in a parallel circuit with 2 batteries, you can use Ohm's Law (I=V/R) where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance of the resistor. First, calculate the total voltage of the circuit by adding the voltage of the two batteries. Then, use the total voltage and the resistance of the resistor to calculate the current flowing through the resistor.

3. What is the purpose of using 2 batteries in a parallel circuit?

Using 2 batteries in a parallel circuit can increase the total voltage of the circuit. This is because in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each branch remains the same, but the total voltage is the sum of all the individual voltages in the circuit. Therefore, using 2 batteries can provide a higher voltage for the circuit to operate on.

4. How does the current flow in a parallel circuit with 2 batteries?

In a parallel circuit with 2 batteries, the current will flow through each branch of the circuit based on the resistance of the components in that branch. The total current in the circuit is the sum of the currents in each branch. This means that the current flowing through the resistor will be divided among the branches of the circuit.

5. Can the current in a parallel circuit with 2 batteries be greater than the current of one battery?

Yes, the current in a parallel circuit with 2 batteries can be greater than the current of one battery. This is because the total voltage in the circuit is increased with the addition of a second battery, which can lead to a higher current flowing through the circuit. However, the current in each individual branch would still be less than the current of one battery since the total current is divided among the branches.