Parallel plate capacitor capcitance question?

In summary, the statement that as the area increases the, Electrical field decreases is true. This is because the electric field is determined by the potential difference between the charges, and as the area increases the potential difference between the charges will decrease.
mazinse
I know that the capacitance is depended on area and distance etc etc. However, can someone explain to me the statement that as the area increases the, Elctrical field decreases.
C would increase because of the area, and V would decrease because of the E, so for this scenario would the charge be constant or increasing.

Can someone show in equation forms, please show how E would decrease.

maybe a little concept too. This is something I can't understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mazinse,

The formula to determine the capacity of a parallel plate capacitor (distance of the plates being d) would be:

[tex]C=\epsilon_0\epsilon_r*\frac{A}{d}[/tex]

As you said with increasing area A the capacity increases as well.

Now the formula for the electric field:

[tex]E=\frac{U}{d}[/tex]

[tex]U=\frac{Q}{C}=\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0\epsilon_r*\frac{A}{d}}[/tex]

[tex]E=\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0\epsilon_rA}[/tex]

As the area increases the electic field decreases.

In your scenario only the area is increased, the charge would remain the same.

Regards,

nazzard

Edit: Aaaahhhh, the forum won't stop eating my equations up :blushing:

Last edited:
yes it's wonderful using the energy equation, this works out nice. However, why does electrical field decrease, can u give me a conceptual explanation.

mazinse said:
yes it's wonderful using the energy equation, this works out nice. However, why does electrical field decrease, can u give me a conceptual explanation.
Notice that all the "U"s in nazzard's post are actually potential differences [itex] \Delta V [/itex], not the usual energy density U (his notation is not conventional).

To answer your question, the total E field at a point is ismply the vector sum of the E fields produced by all the charges, right? Now imagine uniformly spreading the same amount of charges over a larger area. Then of course the total E field will be weaker (since almost all the charges will be farther away from the point).

ok ok that is helpful, but why is charge constant when A goes up, what controls it? If I increase like the current or voltage of the power supply, would the charge change then? But that would change potential difference too then right? And everything would be changed

It is the change in potential difference applied that causes the change in charge.
If charge were to increase by m times and area increased by n times the change in the electric fieold would be m/n times the original, as can be seen by using the relation posted by nazzard,
[tex]E=\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0\epsilon_rA}[/tex]

Related to Parallel plate capacitor capcitance question?

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between two parallel conducting plates. The capacitor consists of two conducting plates separated by a dielectric material.

2. How is the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor calculated?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the potential difference between the plates. It is also affected by the area of the plates and the distance between them, as given by the equation C = ε0A/d, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the area of the plates, the distance between them, and the permittivity of the dielectric material between the plates. The permittivity of the material is dependent on its composition and can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and applied voltage.

4. How is the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor affected by the dielectric material?

The dielectric material between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor affects its capacitance by increasing the electric displacement and reducing the electric field between the plates. This is because the dielectric material has a higher permittivity than air, allowing for more charge to be stored on the plates.

5. What are some practical applications of parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits for energy storage, filtering, and smoothing. They are also used in power factor correction, sensors, and as components in various electronic devices such as televisions, computers, and cameras.