Parallel Plate Capacitor (work and potential difference)

In summary, the work done by the electrical force in taking the charge between the plates is 3.0 J. The potential difference between the plates of the capacitor is .
jrzygrl

Homework Statement

Professor Milly Coulomb finds it takes 3.0 J of work to drag, at constant speed, a -9.0 mC charge between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor.

(a) What is the work done by the electrical force in taking the charge between the plates?

(b) What is the potential difference between the plates of the capacitor?

Homework Equations

PE = (QV) / 2
V = 2PE / Q

The Attempt at a Solution

b) V = 2PE / Q
V = (2 * 3) / -.009
V = -666.667 V

For part b, I tried both positive and negative values but they were both wrong.
For part a, I tried the values of 0 and 3 but they were wrong also.

Thanks for anyone who helps! :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
a) You have to be more explicit as to what you tried here. Positive and negative values of what?

b) Why did you multiply it by 2?

a) +/- 666.67 as answers for the problem when changing the charge. They were both incorect.

b) I based it off the formula PE = .5QV

a) Work is done to move charge across a potential difference. This work is done against the field. So what is the work done by the field?

b) The formula 1/2QV gives you the amount of energy stored in the capacitor, with Q being the amount of charge on the capacitor plates, not as you have interpreted it, the amount of charge the person has moved from one plate to the other.

So for this, you have to think back to what constitutes the work done in moving the charge across the plates. In particular, think of what is the work done in moving a charge across a potential difference V?

I figured out part a, but part b is confusing given the problem. I found a formula in my textbook about potential difference between the two capacitor plates as: V = Ed. However this cannot be found as E and d are not given in the problem. I also know that V = Q/C, but capacitance is unknown as well.

So, in this case, you can't rely on that formula to do it. As I said earlier, think in terms of the formula you have for work done to move a charge q over a potential difference V. This definition is more fundamental than the concept of capacitance. You don't need to understand capacitance to come up with that.

Okay, I finally got it now. Thanks a lot!

Related to Parallel Plate Capacitor (work and potential difference)

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of electronic component that consists of two conducting plates placed parallel to each other with a small distance between them. The plates are usually made of metal and are separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. This structure allows the capacitor to store electrical energy in the form of an electric field.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by storing electric charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other plate becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, causing a potential difference or voltage across the capacitor. The capacitor can then release this stored energy when needed.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by three main factors: the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. The closer the plates are together, the larger the capacitance. Similarly, a larger surface area and a higher dielectric constant of the material will result in a larger capacitance.

4. How is the potential difference calculated in a parallel plate capacitor?

The potential difference, also known as the voltage, in a parallel plate capacitor is calculated by dividing the charge on the plates by the capacitance. In mathematical terms, this can be expressed as V = Q/C, where V is the potential difference, Q is the charge on the plates, and C is the capacitance.

5. What are some common applications of parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. They are commonly used in power supplies, filters, and tuning circuits. They are also used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers to store and release energy. Capacitors are also used in energy storage systems, such as batteries and fuel cells, to improve their performance.