Parallel RLC circuit initial values

In summary: Oops.In summary, the circuit shown creates a 0V voltage across the capacitor when it is open-circuited at t=0. This contradicts the solution approach which starts by open-circuiting the capacitor and then arrives at the result that it has no voltage across its plates.
ViolentCorpse

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown (in the attachment), find iL(0+) and Vc(0+).

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

At t=0-; the inductor can be replaced by a short-circuit and the capacitor by an open circuit. This shorts out the resistor so by Ohm's law, the voltage drop across it is 0V. Since all the elements are in a parallel combination, that means the voltage across each element is 0V. And we know that Vc(0-)=Vc(0+); therefore Vc(0+)=0V.

For iL, since the inductor acts like a short circuit and at t=0-, all the current passes through this short alone. So iL(0-)=iL(0+)= 4A.

Right?

Now here's my question: An open-circuit equivalent of capacitor means that the capacitor is charged and thus has a voltage across it. Yet in this problem, my analysis yields Vc(0)=0V. I find this result contradictory to my solution approach because I started by open-circuiting the capacitor only to later arrive at the result that it has developed no voltage at all across it; for how can a charged capacitor not have any voltage across its plates?

This is my conceptual confusion. I'd really appreciate your help guys! :)

Attachments

• dvoyfb.jpg
    dvoyfb.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ViolentCorpse said:
Now here's my question: An open-circuit equivalent of capacitor means that the capacitor is charged and thus has a voltage across it. Yet in this problem, my analysis yields Vc(0)=0V. I find this result contradictory to my solution approach because I started by open-circuiting the capacitor only to later arrive at the result that it has developed no voltage at all across it; for how can a charged capacitor not have any voltage across its plates?
There's no problem or contradiction; zero volts is a perfectly good value for potential.

The reason we consider the capacitor to be an open circuit at steady state is that it has attained whatever potential is required such that further changes cease; it reaches electrical potential equilibrium with its connection points. This value may very well be zero volts if that's what the external circuit demands.

gneill said:
There's no problem or contradiction; zero volts is a perfectly good value for potential.

The reason we consider the capacitor to be an open circuit at steady state is that it has attained whatever potential is required such that further changes cease; it reaches electrical potential equilibrium with its connection points. This value may very well be zero volts if that's what the external circuit demands.

Ah, I see. Will it be correct to say that in this circuit, the capacitor hasn't been charged at all until t=0 and only the inductor has been charged?

Also, how would this problem change if the current source is replaced by a voltage source of say 4 Volts. All the elements should be getting the same voltage across their terminals i.e 4V, but applying ohm's law on the resistor would suggest otherwise...

Thank you so much, gneill!

Last edited:
ViolentCorpse said:
Ah, I see. Will it be correct to say that in this circuit, the capacitor hasn't been charged at all until t=0 and only the inductor has been charged?
It depends upon how far back in time you wish to look; at some point the circuit must have been assembled and the current source switched on for the first time. In the first instant the inductor will look like an open circuit and the capacitor will begin to charge... some interactions will occur before the circuit eventually settles into a steady state (this is the transient response).
Thank you so much, gneill!
You're quite welcome :smile:

I understand. :)

I've edited my last post. Please take a look at it and bear with me just a little more.

ViolentCorpse said:
Also, how would this problem change if the current source is replaced by a voltage source of say 4 Volts. All the elements should be getting the same voltage across their terminals i.e 4V, but applying ohm's law on the resistor would suggest otherwise...

First tell us what your thoughts are on this. In particular, how would the inductor current behave in such a situation?

I think it won't be much different from before. The inductor would assume its short-circuit characteristics at steady-state, so all the current (a fairly large current) would be diverted through the inductor.

ViolentCorpse said:
I think it won't be much different from before. The inductor would assume its short-circuit characteristics at steady-state, so all the current (a fairly large current) would be diverted through the inductor.

How large is "fairly large"? Is this a realistic circuit?

gneill said:
How large is "fairly large"? Is this a realistic circuit?

Umm... I can't give an exact number. Practically, the current would only be impeded by the small wiring and inductor resistances, so it could be dangerously large. I don't think it is a realistic circuit. It may damage the voltage source and the elements involved.

Am I on the right track here?

I think I'm slowly realizing that I asked quite a silly question.

Last edited:
ViolentCorpse said:
Umm... I can't give an exact number. Practically, the current would only be impeded by the small wiring and inductor resistances, so it could be dangerously large. I don't think it is a realistic circuit. It may damage the voltage source and the elements involved.

Am I on the right track here?

I think I'm slowly realizing that I asked quite a silly question.

There are no silly questions :smile:

If the components are ideal (zero resistance for all non-resistor components), the inductor current would run away to infinity. So, not a realistic circuit.

However, can you think of how you might change the circuit slightly to make it practical? Hint: you want to prevent the voltage source from ever seeing a short circuit.

I'm really grateful to you for your continuing kind response, gneill. :)

Hmm, to make the circuit practical... I think the resistor should be put in series with the inductor.

ViolentCorpse said:
I'm really grateful to you for your continuing kind response, gneill. :)

Hmm, to make the circuit practical... I think the resistor should be put in series with the inductor.
Yes, that would work. But even better, put it in series with the voltage source. Then, for the right choice of voltage, the circuit will behave exactly like the one with the current source with the resistor in parallel.

Thanks a ton, gneill! I really really appreciate your help! :)

Related to Parallel RLC circuit initial values

1. What is a parallel RLC circuit?

A parallel RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains three components: a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in parallel, meaning they share the same voltage but have different currents flowing through them.

2. What are the initial values of a parallel RLC circuit?

The initial values of a parallel RLC circuit refer to the values of the components at the start of the circuit's operation. These values include the initial voltage across the capacitor (V0), the initial current through the inductor (I0), and the initial charge on the capacitor (Q0).

3. How do initial values affect the behavior of a parallel RLC circuit?

The initial values of a parallel RLC circuit play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the circuit. They determine the initial energy stored in the components and the initial current flow, which can affect the transient response and stability of the circuit.

4. How can initial values be calculated for a parallel RLC circuit?

The initial values for a parallel RLC circuit can be calculated using the equations V0 = Q0/C, I0 = V0/R, and Q0 = L*I0. These equations take into account the values of the components and the initial conditions of the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of parallel RLC circuits?

Parallel RLC circuits have many practical applications, such as in filters, voltage regulators, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in electronic devices to improve power efficiency and reduce interference.