Parallel to Serial Conversion: IC 74165 & 2 Clock Purpose

In summary, the IC 74165 is a chip with two clock inputs that allows for the transfer of 8 bit data from parallel to serial. It can be controlled by making pin 15 low to continuously clock the data, and making pin 1 high to allow for clocking towards the serial output. The Fairchild data sheet provides more detailed information on its use.
kschong
hi, may i know how to control IC 74165? What is the purpose of this 2 clock? i need a IC which can transfer 8 bit data from parallel to serial, got any suggestion?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That chip would be OK.

It has two clock inputs so that one of them can control clock input from the other. It is really just one clock.

It can load from parallel inputs and send this data out as serial.

The Fairchild data sheet explains it pretty well.

kschong said:
hi, may i know how to control IC 74165? What is the purpose of this 2 clock? i need a IC which can transfer 8 bit data from parallel to serial, got any suggestion?

Adding a question to vk6kro's advice, what do you want for the serial data stream? Do you want it in some standard format/interface like SCI (RS-232) or SPI or I2C, or some other? What is the overall context of your question?

Actually now i m doing a project about the Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC), i need the IC 74165 for the convert the parallel data into serial data. Unfortunately, i m don know how to control the two clock to let the data transfer into serial. For this CRC project, can i use the RS 232??

kschong said:
Actually now i m doing a project about the Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC), i need the IC 74165 for the convert the parallel data into serial data. Unfortunately, i m don know how to control the two clock to let the data transfer into serial. For this CRC project, can i use the RS 232??

No, if you are making a CRC state machine, there is no need to have the serial data in any particular comm format. You are just going to be putting it through your CRC circuit, right?

What kind of logic are you going to use to control your state machine? Where do the parallel bytes come from? Where are you going to shift out the final CRC? How wide will it be?

Is this a paper-only design, or are you going to simulate it, or are you going to build it up?

Unfortunately, i m don know how to control the two clock to let the data transfer into serial.

You need to download a data sheet for this chip.

If you hold pin 15 low and feed the clock into pin 2, it will clock continuously. Making pin 15 high will stop the clocking even if pin 2 continues to get clock pulses.

Making pin 1 low will load the parallel data from the 8 data input pins. Making pin 1 high will allow clocking of the data towards the serial output, pin 9.
Clocking must be done at the right baud rate for the serial output to be at the right speed.

Related to Parallel to Serial Conversion: IC 74165 & 2 Clock Purpose

1. What is parallel to serial conversion?

Parallel to serial conversion is the process of converting data from a parallel format, where multiple bits are transmitted simultaneously, to a serial format, where bits are transmitted one after the other. This is commonly done in digital communication systems to reduce the number of wires needed for transmission.

2. What is an IC 74165?

IC 74165 is a type of integrated circuit that is commonly used for parallel to serial conversion. It is an 8-bit parallel-in/serial-out shift register, meaning it can store 8 bits of data in parallel and then shift them out one at a time in serial format. It is commonly used in digital devices such as computers and microcontrollers.

3. How does the IC 74165 work?

The IC 74165 works by taking in 8 parallel bits of data and storing them in internal flip-flops. The clock input then triggers the shift register to shift out the stored bits one at a time in serial format. This process is repeated for each clock pulse, allowing for continuous conversion from parallel to serial format.

4. What is the purpose of the 2 clock inputs in the IC 74165?

The 2 clock inputs in the IC 74165 serve different purposes. The first clock input, called the "clock" input, triggers the shift register to shift out the stored bits in serial format. The second clock input, called the "clear" input, resets the internal flip-flops to their initial state, clearing the stored data. Both inputs are essential for proper operation of the IC.

5. What are some applications of parallel to serial conversion using the IC 74165?

Parallel to serial conversion using the IC 74165 is commonly used in digital communication systems such as serial data transmission, where it allows for efficient transmission of data over a single wire. It is also used in applications such as LED displays and digital clocks, where it is used to convert parallel data from a microcontroller into serial data for display purposes.