Parallelogram is formed by joining midpoints of a quadrilateral

In summary, to prove that the quadrilateral formed by joining the midpoints of adjacent sides is a parallelogram, we can use the midpoint formula to calculate the midpoints of all four sides and then compare the slopes of the opposite lines to show that they are parallel. This can also be done in a general sense by writing out the expressions without using specific numbers and seeing what cancels. Another approach is to connect the vertices to make a convex quadrilateral and apply the midline theorem.
zeion

Homework Statement

P1(x1,y1), P2(x2,y2), P3(x3,y3), P4(x4,y4) are the vertices of a quadrilateral. Show that the quadrilateral formed by joining the midpoints of adjacent sides is a parallelogram.

Homework Equations

Midpoint: M = ((x0+x1)/2, (y0+y1)/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing I need to show that the line formed by the midpoints of say, P1P4 and P1P2, is parallel to the line formed by joining midpoints P2P3 and P3P4?

I've never proved anything in my life and I'm not sure where to start -_-;

Physics news on Phys.org
"I'm guessing I need to show that the line formed by the midpoints of say, P1P4 and P1P2, is parallel to the line formed by joining midpoints P2P3 and P3P4?"

You already figured it out.

But how do I say this in a mathematical way? Lol
Do I need to use the Pythagoras theorem somewhere?

You don't need Pythagorean theorem.

And the question says show, not prove.

So that means I can just write it with words?
Or draw a picture?

You don't need the Pythagorean theorem. skeeterrr just meant try to finish the strategy you originally set out with. Show slopes of opposite sides are parallel using exactly the midpoint formula you originally stated. Just DO it.

Calculate the four midpoints, then calculate the slopes of the lines connecting them.

Yes, just do the strategy that you thought out.

As for explaining, read the guideline on the MAT137 site, I am working on this problem set as well.

Ok, pretty sure I have this one down.
Thanks.

How would you show this in a general sense? Using theory as opposed to actual measurements? Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks

Same advice again. Just try it. Write out the expressions without using numbers and see what cancels. Just TRY it.

I ended up figuring it out by connecting the vertices to make a convex quadrilateral and then applying the midline theorem. Thanks for the help though

Related to Parallelogram is formed by joining midpoints of a quadrilateral

What is a parallelogram?

A parallelogram is a quadrilateral with two pairs of parallel sides. This means that the opposite sides of a parallelogram are parallel and equal in length.

How is a parallelogram formed by joining midpoints of a quadrilateral?

To form a parallelogram, you need to take a quadrilateral and join the midpoints of its opposite sides. This will create two intersecting lines, which will form the diagonals of the parallelogram. The parallelogram will then be formed by the sides of the original quadrilateral that are opposite the midpoints.

What are the properties of a parallelogram formed by joining midpoints of a quadrilateral?

A parallelogram formed by joining midpoints of a quadrilateral has the following properties:

• Opposite sides are parallel and equal in length.
  • Opposite angles are equal.
  • Diagonals bisect each other.
  • Each diagonal divides the parallelogram into two congruent triangles.
  • The sum of the interior angles is equal to 360 degrees.

What is the relationship between a parallelogram and a quadrilateral formed by joining midpoints?

A parallelogram formed by joining midpoints is a special type of quadrilateral. It is a specific case of a parallelogram where the opposite sides are equal in length. Therefore, all parallelograms formed by joining midpoints are also quadrilaterals, but not all quadrilaterals formed by joining midpoints are parallelograms.

What are some real-life examples of a parallelogram formed by joining midpoints of a quadrilateral?

Some examples of a parallelogram formed by joining midpoints include:

• A kite, where the two diagonals bisect each other and the opposite sides are equal in length.
  • A rhombus, where all sides are equal in length and the opposite angles are equal.
  • A square, which is a special case of a rhombus where all angles are equal and the diagonals are perpendicular.