Paramagnetic rod in a uniform magnetic field

In summary, a researcher has posted on a physics forum seeking help in finding a formula for the torque produced by a uniform magnetic field on a paramagnetic material, such as a magnetized or ferromagnetic rod. They have searched through multiple books and journals, including one on the effects of foreign objects in magnetic resonance procedures, but have not been able to find a suitable equation. Another forum member suggests an article from the American Journal of Physics, but the researcher discovers it was published in 1951 and wonders if there are more recent studies on the topic. They also provide an equation they have found but are unsure of the units. Later, the researcher realizes the issue with the equation and clarifies the meaning of the "D" terms.
little
Hello Physics Forums. I've read the forum on and off for a while and have always found that the folks here have given such thorough answers that I've had nothing more to contribute! :) But I finally have the need to ask a question.

I work in a physics lab and we are trying to determine the effects of magnetic fields on an aluminum torsion balance. Nominally, the effects are very small because it is paramagnetic, but this is an extremely sensitive device so we believe we need to do all the calculations to make sure we aren't having problems with magnetic fields.

Specifically, when a freely suspended rod (magnetized, ferromagnetic or paramagnetic) is placed in a uniform magnetic field, a torque results that moves the rod in line with the field. I've having the darnedest time finding a formula for this torque for anything other than a magnet. Can anyone help me out with a paramagnetic material - or even suggest a book? I've scoured the 4 or 5 books in the lab that might contain such an equation but haven't found anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have access to that journal - would you provide a more thorough citation so I can find the article?

I also just found an interesting reference. I had mainly been focusing on books that dealt with theory, but I found one on an application that I hadn't considered. Namely, it's dealing with the repercussions of foreign objects in the body when undergoing magnetic resonance procedures! A needle is precisely the sort of thing they would be concerned about. However, the equation they have doesn't have appear to have the proper units at first glance. Unfortunately, the preceding page is missing in google books so I suspect it's the assignment of the 'D' variables (I was using simple distance measures of the axes of the ellipse). Any other thoughts on this equation?

(holy moly, I'm dense - I can't get latex to work out right)

T=[(chi^2*V*B^2)/mu0]*(Da-Dr)*cos(theta)*sin(theta)

The units come out to Nm^2 if you assume the 'D's are lengths. Elsewhere in the text it defines a needle like object as Da<<Dr.

Last edited:
Sorry of the double post...but...

Student1983 said:
I googled real quick and found an article about it in the American Journal of Physics, Volume 19. It sounded worthwhile, but I couldn't find the full article anywhere. It still being studied pretty closely, so I don't know if any books will have anything other than the magnetic formula.

Hope this helps.

Looking into this, volume 19 was published in 1951! Do you have any other reason for believing this is still being studied closely?And I've finally realized that my preview does not properly show latex...arg. Here's the equation:

[tex]T=\frac{\chi^2VB^2}{\mu_0}(D_a-D_r)cos(\theta)sin(\theta)[/tex]

Last edited:
In case anyone has been watching this thread with bated breath, I've discovered the issue.

The D terms are 'demagnetization factors'. For the case of a long skinny object Da<<Dr. And

[tex]D_r=\frac{4\pi}{m^2}(ln(2m)-1)[/tex] where [tex]m=length/diameter[/tex]

Hello there! Thank you for reaching out to the Physics Forums community for help with your experiment. I am happy to assist you with your question about the torque on a paramagnetic rod in a uniform magnetic field.

Firstly, let's define what a paramagnetic material is. A paramagnetic material is one that is attracted to a magnetic field, but does not retain any permanent magnetization when the field is removed. This is in contrast to ferromagnetic materials, which do retain magnetization after exposure to a magnetic field.

Now, to calculate the torque on a paramagnetic rod in a uniform magnetic field, we can use the equation:

τ = μ0χB^2Vsinθ

Where τ is the torque, μ0 is the permeability of free space, χ is the magnetic susceptibility of the material, B is the magnetic field strength, V is the volume of the rod, and θ is the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the rod.

The magnetic susceptibility, χ, is a dimensionless quantity that describes the degree to which a material is attracted to a magnetic field. For paramagnetic materials, χ is positive and typically very small, indicating a weak attraction to the field.

I would also recommend checking out a book called "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, which has a section on the torque on a paramagnetic material in a magnetic field.

I hope this helps you with your experiment. Best of luck!

Related to Paramagnetic rod in a uniform magnetic field

What is a paramagnetic rod?

A paramagnetic rod is a material that is weakly attracted to a magnetic field. This means that when placed in a magnetic field, the rod will align itself with the field and experience a slight force in the direction of the field.

What is a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field is a magnetic field that has the same strength and direction at all points in space. This means that the strength and direction of the field do not vary depending on the location within the field.

How does a paramagnetic rod behave in a uniform magnetic field?

In a uniform magnetic field, a paramagnetic rod will align itself with the field and experience a slight force in the direction of the field. This force is proportional to the strength of the field and the magnetic susceptibility of the material.

What factors affect the behavior of a paramagnetic rod in a uniform magnetic field?

The behavior of a paramagnetic rod in a uniform magnetic field is affected by the strength of the field, the magnetic susceptibility of the material, and the orientation of the rod with respect to the field. Additionally, the temperature and the presence of any impurities in the material can also affect its behavior.

What are some real-world applications of paramagnetic rods in uniform magnetic fields?

Paramagnetic rods in uniform magnetic fields are commonly used in scientific research, such as in NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) spectroscopy, to study the properties of materials. They are also used in various industrial processes, such as magnetic separation and purification of materials. Additionally, paramagnetic rods are used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), to produce detailed images of the body.