Parameterize the intersection of the surfaces

In summary: It would probably be easier to put them into z=x^2+xy-1 so you don't have to square y, don't you agree?
andyk23
Parameterize the intersection of the surfaces z=x^2-y^2 and z=x^2+xy-1

What's getting me stuck on this problem is the xy. I set x=t

z=x^2-y^2
z=t^2-y^2

z=x^2+xy-1
t^2-y^2=t^2+ty-1
y^2=1-ty
Thats as far as of come, I'm stuck on this

Physics news on Phys.org
andyk23 said:
Parameterize the intersection of the surfaces z=x^2-y^2 and z=x^2+xy-1

What's getting me stuck on this problem is the xy. I set x=t

z=x^2-y^2
z=t^2-y^2

z=x^2+xy-1
t^2-y^2=t^2+ty-1
y^2=1-ty
Thats as far as of come, I'm stuck on this

That looks ok so far. So now you want to solve y^2=1-ty for y in terms of t, right? It's a quadratic equation. You should be able to solve that.

That's the part I'm stuck on, y^2+ty-1=0; (y+?)(y-?)=0

andyk23 said:
That's the part I'm stuck on, y^2+ty-1=0; (y+?)(y-?)=0

You don't really directly solve something like this by factoring. Do you know the quadratic formula?

sorry I was thinking something else for the quadratic eqn y= -t+/- sq rt(t^2=4)/2

andyk23 said:
sorry I was thinking something else for the quadratic eqn y= -t+/- sq rt(t^2=4)/2

That would be right, if you could clean up the formatting.

then r(t)=<t, (-t+/- sq rt(t^2=4))/2, t^2-(-t+/- sq rt(t^2=4))/2> thanks for your help!

andyk23 said:
then r(t)=<t, (-t+/- sq rt(t^2=4))/2, t^2-(-t+/- sq rt(t^2=4))/2> thanks for your help!

Gack. sq rt(t^2=4)? What's that supposed to mean? And your z component is wrong. But I think you can clean this up on your own.

would the Z component be z= x^2-y^2 and just put the x and y in?

andyk23 said:
would the Z component be z= x^2-y^2 and just put the x and y in?

It would probably be easier to put them into z=x^2+xy-1 so you don't have to square y, don't you agree?

Agreed, thanks again for all your help!

FAQ: Parameterize the intersection of the surfaces

What does it mean to "parameterize" the intersection of surfaces?

Parameterizing the intersection of surfaces is the process of finding a mathematical representation of the points where two surfaces intersect. This allows for easier calculation and analysis of the intersection.

Why is it important to parameterize the intersection of surfaces?

Parameterizing the intersection of surfaces is important because it allows for a precise and systematic way of analyzing the intersection. It also allows for easier visualization and manipulation of the intersection.

What are some common methods for parameterizing the intersection of surfaces?

Some common methods for parameterizing the intersection of surfaces include using parametric equations, vector equations, and implicit equations. These methods involve representing the surfaces in terms of variables or parameters and then finding the values of those parameters at the points of intersection.

Can the intersection of surfaces be parameterized in higher dimensions?

Yes, the intersection of surfaces can be parameterized in higher dimensions. In fact, many real-world applications involve the intersection of surfaces in three or more dimensions, and parameterization is necessary to accurately represent and analyze these intersections.

What are some real-world applications of parameterizing the intersection of surfaces?

Parameterizing the intersection of surfaces has many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, engineering design, and physics simulations. It is also used in fields such as geology and astronomy to analyze the intersection of geological layers or celestial bodies.

Back