Parametric Derivatives: Understanding Second Derivatives of Parametric Equations

In summary, when finding the second derivative of a parametric equation, we cannot use the same method as finding the first derivative by treating ##\frac{dy}{dt}## and ##\frac{dx}{dt}## as fractions. Instead, we must use the Chain Rule.
sooyong94

Homework Statement

Given a pair of parametric equations,
##x=f(t)## and ##y=g(t)## ,
The first derivative is given by
##\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{g'(t)}{f'(t)}##
and the second derivative is actually
##\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dy}{dx})##
But why we cannot find the second derivative of a parametric equation by doing this?
##\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}=\frac{g''(t}{f''(t)}##

Homework Equations

Parametric derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the parametric derivatives can be done by treating
##\frac{dy}{dt}## and ##\frac{dx}{dt}## as a fraction, but why can't we do that to second derivatives?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with deriving the correct equation
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{g'(t)}{f'(t)}.[/tex]
Then you should get an idea, how to get the 2nd derivative.

hi sooyong94! :smile:
sooyong94 said:
… and the second derivative is actually
##\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dy}{dx})##

you mean ##\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)## :wink:
But why we cannot find the second derivative of a parametric equation by doing this?
##\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}=\frac{g''(t}{f''(t)}##

no, that's dv/du where u(t) = f'(t), v(t) = g'(t)

tiny-tim said:
hi sooyong94! :smile:

you mean ##\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)## :wink:

no, that's dv/du where u(t) = f'(t), v(t) = g'(t)
I don't get it though... I known I can use quotient rule to find the second derivative...

sooyong94 said:
I know the parametric derivatives can be done by treating
##\frac{dy}{dt}## and ##\frac{dx}{dt}## as a fraction, but why can't we do that to second derivatives?

Because you're not really treating them as fractions. You're using Chain Rule. World of difference.

Curious3141 said:
Because you're not really treating them as fractions. You're using Chain Rule. World of difference.

yes, chain rule: dy/dx = dy/dt*dt/dx = dy/dt*(1/(dx/dt)) = g'(t)/f'(t) …

nothing to do with quotients :wink:

I got it right now... So it's about chain rule, not treating them as fractions.

FAQ: Parametric Derivatives: Understanding Second Derivatives of Parametric Equations

1. What are parametric derivatives?

Parametric derivatives are a type of derivative used to find the rate of change of a parametric function with respect to its independent variable. They involve finding the derivatives of the individual parametric equations and using them to calculate the overall derivative.

2. How are parametric derivatives different from regular derivatives?

Parametric derivatives are different from regular derivatives in that they involve finding the derivatives of each individual parametric equation and using them to calculate the overall derivative. This is because parametric functions have two independent variables, whereas regular functions only have one.

3. What is the formula for calculating parametric derivatives?

The formula for calculating parametric derivatives is:
dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt)
where dy/dx is the overall derivative, dy/dt and dx/dt are the derivatives of the individual parametric equations.

4. When are parametric derivatives used?

Parametric derivatives are typically used when dealing with curves or surfaces in three-dimensional space. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and model motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of parametric derivatives?

Some real-life applications of parametric derivatives include calculating the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, analyzing the shape and curvature of curves and surfaces, and modeling complex systems in physics and engineering.

Back