Parametric Equation of a Line from the intersection of two planes

In summary, the parametric equation for a line of intersection of the two given planes is L(t)= (5/3,0,0) + <0,-5/3,5/3>t, where x=5/3, y=-5/3t, and z=5/3t. This was found by setting the two planes equal to each other and finding the equation of the resulting plane, which contains the line of intersection. However, this method may not always result in the correct answer and it is recommended to use the normal and cross product method.
Aneeshrege

Homework Statement

Find the parametric equation for a line of intersection of these two planes

x+2y+3z=0
4x+5y+6z=5

Homework Equations

Normal to plane 1= <1,2,3>
Normal to plane 2= <4,5,6>

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the way to do this problem is to take cross product of two normals etc etc,
but i want to know if the way i did this is correct also.

I already turned the work in so there's nothing i can do to change it but the curiosity is killing me.

First, i set the two planes equal to each other

4x+5y+6z-5=0
x+2y+3z=0

=> x+2y+3z=4x+5y+6z-5 (please correct me my thinking process is wrong,im winging it)
=> 3x+3y+3z=5
=> x+y+z=5/3 (now I am thinking this is the equation of the intersection of the two planes but this isn't the equation of a line, it looks like a plane, or is it?)

so i took a point on this set, (5/3,0,0) and two other points (0,5/3,0) and (0,0,5/3)

i did <0,0,5/3> - <0,5/3,0> = <0,-5/3,5/3> as a directional vector.

so L(t)= (5/3,0,0) + <0,-5/3,5/3>t

x=5/3
y=-5/3t
z=5/3t

IS any of this wrong?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try it out. Put your x,y and z into the two original plane equations. At t=0 you get (5/3,0,0). That's not on either of the original planes, is it?

Ah i do notice that, but

x+2y+3z=4x+5y+6z-5

if i plug them into that those points solve the equation, which is the x,y,z such that those two planes are equal, or is that me failing at winging a problem?

If you mix up two planes you get a third plane. A line in that plane may or may not be in either of the two planes you started with. I admire your spirit of winging it, but when you scamble the two planes, you loose information.

so i just needed to restrict that plane to a set of values that lie in both planes. so I am just wondering what exactly did i do by setting the two planes equal to each other? i notice i get the same result if i subtract equation 1 from equation 2, so did i just subtract the two planes by setting them equal? I am confused as to what that actually does

Yeah, you effectively just subtracted one equation from the other. This gives you a new plane in which the line of intersection lies, so you're just finding the equation of a plane rotated about that line.

Aneeshrege said:
so i just needed to restrict that plane to a set of values that lie in both planes. so I am just wondering what exactly did i do by setting the two planes equal to each other? i notice i get the same result if i subtract equation 1 from equation 2, so did i just subtract the two planes by setting them equal? I am confused as to what that actually does

Try a simpler example. Take the planes x=0 and z=0. They intersect along the line (0,t,0). Subtract them and get x-z=0. That's a different plane. Still contains (0,t,0) though. Adding and subtracting the plane equations isn't getting you any closer to finding the intersection. I think you'd better stick with the normal and cross product method.

okay thanks guys for all your help. i understand this a lot better now

Related to Parametric Equation of a Line from the intersection of two planes

1. What is the parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes?

The parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes is a set of equations that describe the coordinates of points on the line in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters allow us to represent any point on the line in terms of a specific value or variable.

2. How is the parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes derived?

The parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes is derived by setting one of the variables in the equation of one plane equal to a parameter, and then solving for the remaining variables in terms of that parameter. This process can be repeated for the second plane, resulting in two equations with the same parameter that can be used to represent points on the line of intersection.

3. Can the parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes have multiple forms?

Yes, the parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes can have multiple forms. This is because there are multiple ways to choose the parameters and represent the points on the line. However, all forms of the equation will still represent the same line of intersection.

4. How can the parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes be used in practical applications?

The parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes can be used in various practical applications, such as in computer graphics and geometry. It can also be used to solve problems involving the intersection of two planes, such as finding the shortest distance between two skew lines.

5. Is the parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes unique?

No, the parametric equation of a line from the intersection of two planes is not unique. As mentioned before, there can be multiple forms of the equation that represent the same line of intersection. Additionally, different sets of parameters can also be used to represent the same points on the line. However, the underlying concept and mathematical principles remain the same.