Parametric equations and polar coordinates

In summary, the problem is to find the area enclosed by the inner loop of the curve r=1-3sinθ. The formula for finding area in polar coordinates is A=0.5∫r^2 dθ, but the interval for integration is not specified. After some calculations, it is determined that the interval is ±2√2/3. The answer given also includes sin^{-1}(1/3), which can be simplified to 1/sin(1/3) or arcsin(1/3).
maiad

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed by the inner loop of the curve r=1-3sinθ

Homework Equations

A=o.5[itex]\int r^2[/itex] dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the integral but i don't know how to find the interval at which i will be integrating from. I tried finding when r=0 and it turns out to be sin^-1(1/3) but it's not a special angle so it would be messy if i plugged that interval in cos(θ).Any hints will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sin \theta = \frac{1}{3}[/itex]
[itex]\cos^2 \theta = 1 - \sin^2 \theta = \frac {8}{9}[/itex]
[itex]\cos \theta = \pm \frac {2 \sqrt 2}{3}[/itex]
So it's not a problem. You have to figure out whether it's + or -, depending on theta.

the answer had a sin(1/3)^-1 so i think you have to use that as one of your intervals I am assuming

maiad said:
the answer had a sin(1/3)^-1 so i think you have to use that as one of your intervals I am assuming
Do you mean [itex](sin(1/3))^{-1}= 1/sin(1/3))[/itex] or [itex]sin^{-1}(1/3)= arcsin(1/3)[/itex]?

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Parametric equations and polar coordinates

1. What are parametric equations and polar coordinates?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that represent the coordinates of a point on a plane in terms of one or more independent variables, typically denoted by t. Polar coordinates are another way of representing the position of a point on a plane, using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference line.

2. How are parametric equations and polar coordinates related?

Parametric equations can be used to describe the motion of a point in polar coordinates. By setting the independent variable t to be the angle in polar coordinates, the x and y coordinates can be expressed in terms of the polar coordinates r and θ.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric equations and polar coordinates?

Parametric equations and polar coordinates can be used to represent complex curves and shapes that are difficult to express in Cartesian coordinates. They also allow for easier visualization and understanding of circular and rotational motion.

4. How do you convert between parametric equations and polar coordinates?

To convert from parametric equations to polar coordinates, set the independent variable t to be the angle θ and solve for r. To convert from polar coordinates to parametric equations, use the trigonometric relationships x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ) to express the x and y coordinates in terms of r and θ.

5. What real-life applications use parametric equations and polar coordinates?

Parametric equations and polar coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of objects in circular or rotational motion. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and shapes, and in navigation systems to determine the position of objects in polar coordinates.