Parametric equations area under a graph

In summary, parametric equations are a set of equations that express quantities as functions of one or more independent variables. They can be used to find the area under a graph by first finding the parametric equations for the curve and then using the formula for area under a curve. Parametric equations can also be used to find the area of irregular shapes and 3D surfaces. The main difference between parametric equations and Cartesian equations is in their form, with parametric equations using parameters and Cartesian equations using variables.
cowboi12345
The two equations are:
x=2sin(t)
y=5sin(2t)

i have to find the area under this graph (lemniscate)

I know how to integrate it and all, but my question is how do i find the limits?

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you mean the enclosed area. In any event, the shape is symmetric so you only need half of it (and multiply the result by 2). If you plot the funtion and look at the values of x(t) & y(t) the limits of integration should become clear.

FAQ: Parametric equations area under a graph

What is the definition of parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express a set of quantities as functions of one or more independent variables, known as parameters.

How do you find the area under a graph using parametric equations?

To find the area under a graph using parametric equations, you need to first find the parametric equations for the curve. Then, use the formula for area under a curve: A = ∫ [f(x) * dx], where f(x) is the function for the curve and dx is a small change in x. Integrate the function over the given range of x to find the area.

Can parametric equations be used to find the area of irregular shapes?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to find the area of irregular shapes. This is because parametric equations allow for a more flexible representation of curves and can be used to describe complex shapes.

What is the difference between parametric equations and Cartesian equations?

The main difference between parametric equations and Cartesian equations is in their form. Parametric equations use parameters to define a curve, while Cartesian equations use variables. Parametric equations are often used to represent curves in polar coordinates, while Cartesian equations are used for curves in rectangular coordinates.

Can parametric equations be used to find the area of a 3D surface?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to find the area of a 3D surface. This is often done by breaking the surface into small pieces and using parametric equations to find the area of each piece. The sum of all the areas of the small pieces will give the total area of the 3D surface.