Parametric Equations of Keplerian Orbit

In summary, the homework statement discusses Keplerian orbits, with Cartesian coordinates (x, y) and plane polar coordinates (r, φ). The parametric equations for the orbit describe the motion of the orbiting object, while the angular momentum is constant.
derravaragh

Homework Statement

The figure illustrates a Keplerian orbit, with Cartesian coordinates (x,y) and
plane polar coordinates (r,φ).
F = -(G*M*m)/r^2
The parametric equations for the orbit:
r(ψ) = a ( 1 − e cos ψ)
tan(φ/2) = [(1+e)/(1-e)]^(1/2)* tan(ψ/2)
t(ψ) = (T/2π) ( ψ − e sin ψ)
where ψ is the independent, parametric variable; a, e, and T are constants.

Prove, directly from the parametric equations, that the angular momentum L is
constant. Express L in terms of the constants of the orbit (and any other relevant parameters).

Homework Equations

L = r x p
τnet = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order for L to be constant, its derivative (net torque) must be 0, but this isn't really getting me anywhere. I know torque = rxF and L = rmv, but quite frankly I can't seem to figure out how to do this using the parametric equations.
What I have done using the parametric equations is this:
L = m*r(ψ)*v(t) = m*(a*(1-e*cos(ψ)))*v(t)
From here I'm having a difficult time finding an expression for v(t). I tried using the relations
ω=((2*π)/T) and v = ω*r for the following work:
t(ψ) = (1/ω)*(ψ-esin(ψ))
==> ω = (ψ-esin(ψ))/t(ψ)
==> ω = (ψ-esin(ψ))/((T/(2π))*(ψ-esin(ψ))
==> ω = (2π/T) (this obviously backtracked)
==> v = r*(2π/T)

∴L = m*(a*(1-e*cos(ψ)))*(a*(1-e*cos(ψ)))*(2π/T)
or L = m*a2*(1-e*cos(ψ))2*(2π/T)

I'm pretty sure this isn't right because it isn't going to be constant for different r values. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• c7bf0944-3182-4b94-9a48-5fbcae468dd0.png
    c7bf0944-3182-4b94-9a48-5fbcae468dd0.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 465
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time-derivative of L = r x p is not r x F. Don't forget that r depends on time as well.
L = rmv
Only if r and v are perpendicular to each other. In general, they are not.

Ok, well my intuition tells me to make L=r(psi)mvsin(θ) where θ is the angle between the positive x-axis and the line from the focal point to the point in the orbit

In my notes, we proved momentum was constant by making momentum L = m(x*vy - y*vx) and converting to polar coordinates. Does this equation apply to any elliptical orbit?

As for the time derivative of L = rmv, I am just unsure of how to do this as I can't seem to figure out the correct expression for v.

Last edited:
If you calculate the cross-product, this is exactly what you get. It looks tricky to get v_y, v_x based on the functions in the problem statement, however. L=r(psi)mvsin(θ) looks easier to evaluate.

As for the time derivative of L = rmv, I am just unsure of how to do this as I can't seem to figure out the correct expression for v.
The formula is wrong for an elliptic orbit anyway, there is no need to get v.

mfb said:
The time-derivative of L = r x p is not r x F. Don't forget that r depends on time as well.
Yes, it is. When you apply the product rule, the other term drops out because dr/dt is parallel to p.

Oh, right.
Good, now it makes sense again (as ##\dot{L}=\tau=r \times F##).

mfb said:
The formula is wrong for an elliptic orbit anyway, there is no need to get v.

Ok, I'm confused here. I'm continuing forward with L = mvr(ψ)sin(θ), but I don't understand why I don't need to get v, since v isn't constant? I know that when taking the time derivative of L one of the terms is r x p = 0 because they parallel

derravaragh said:
From here I'm having a difficult time finding an expression for v(t). I tried using the relations
ω=((2*π)/T) and v = ω*r
These relations only give you one component of the velocity, due to the fact that the angle ##\varphi## is changing. The other component arises because ##r## varies with time.

Related to Parametric Equations of Keplerian Orbit

1. What are parametric equations of Keplerian orbit?

Parametric equations of Keplerian orbit are mathematical equations that describe the motion of an object in an elliptical orbit around a central body, such as a planet orbiting a star. These equations use parameters such as time, distance, and angles to represent the position and velocity of the object at any given point in its orbit.

2. How are parametric equations of Keplerian orbit derived?

The parametric equations of Keplerian orbit are derived from Kepler's laws of planetary motion, which describe the relationship between an object's orbit and its distance and velocity from the central body. These laws were developed by Johannes Kepler in the 17th century based on observations made by Tycho Brahe.

3. What are the variables used in parametric equations of Keplerian orbit?

The variables used in parametric equations of Keplerian orbit include time (t), eccentricity (e), semi-major axis (a), inclination (i), argument of periapsis (ω), and longitude of ascending node (Ω). These variables represent different aspects of the orbit, such as the shape, orientation, and position of the object.

4. What is the significance of parametric equations of Keplerian orbit?

The parametric equations of Keplerian orbit are important in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in space. They are used in many fields, including astronomy, astrodynamics, and space engineering, to study and design orbits for spacecraft and satellites. These equations also provide insight into the nature of gravity and the laws that govern the motion of celestial bodies.

5. How accurate are parametric equations of Keplerian orbit?

The parametric equations of Keplerian orbit are highly accurate for describing the motion of objects in space. However, they are based on idealized assumptions, such as a two-body system and a perfectly spherical central body, which may not always be true in real-world scenarios. As a result, these equations may not fully account for factors such as gravitational perturbations from other objects or the oblateness of a planet. Therefore, they are often used in conjunction with other techniques and models to improve accuracy.