Parametric equations of line in 3D space

In summary, the conversation discusses a line integral problem involving a sphere and a column cutting through it. The individual is attempting to find parametric equations for the line and is considering using trigonometric functions. They also discuss using a single-valued parameter and clarify terminology for curves and lines.
player1_1_1
Hello, sorry for my Englich:D

Homework Statement

I must count a line integral on the length which lies on the line which is defined by equations:
[tex]\begin{cases}x^2+y^2+z^2=R^2\\ \left(x-\frac{R}{2}\right)^2+y^2=\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2\end{cases}[/tex]
it is a column which is cutting a sphere

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to assumption that [tex]x=t[/tex] and then depending on this find other functions [tex]y(t),z(t)[/tex], but the equations are not easy. I think I can find something with trigonometric functions sinus cosinus, but I am not sure; my question is then how I can easy and quickly find parametric equations of line which is make by two planes (in this case sphere and column) cutting each another? thanks for help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello player1_1_1! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

It's much better to have a single-valued parameter, which x isn't.

So try using the angle (from the axis of the cylinder) as the parameter. :smile:

(btw, we say "sine" and "cosine", and we usually say "curve" for a line that isn't straight … even though we say "line integral" for any curve! :rolleyes: :wink:)

Related to Parametric equations of line in 3D space

1. What are parametric equations of a line in 3D space?

Parametric equations of a line in 3D space are a set of equations that describe the coordinates of points on a line in terms of one or more parameters. These equations are usually written in the form of x = x0 + at, y = y0 + bt, and z = z0 + ct, where (x0, y0, z0) is a known point on the line, (a, b, c) is the direction vector of the line, and t is the parameter that represents the position on the line.

2. How are parametric equations of a line different from Cartesian equations?

Cartesian equations describe a line in terms of the coordinates of its points, while parametric equations describe a line in terms of parameters. This means that parametric equations can represent lines that are not necessarily parallel to the x, y, or z-axis, while Cartesian equations can only represent lines that are parallel to one of these axes.

3. How do you find the direction vector of a line in 3D space?

The direction vector of a line in 3D space can be found by subtracting the coordinates of two points on the line. For example, if (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are two points on the line, the direction vector can be found by subtracting (x1, y1, z1) from (x2, y2, z2) to get (x2-x1, y2-y1, z2-z1).

4. How many parameters are needed to define a line in 3D space?

Two parameters are needed to define a line in 3D space. These parameters can be represented by t and s, where t represents the position on the line and s represents the slope of the line.

5. How can parametric equations of a line be used in real-life applications?

Parametric equations of a line can be used in real-life applications to model motion in 3D space, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the path of a moving object. They can also be used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations.