Parametrization for Surface F and Area A

In summary, the parametrization for area A is given by r(u,v)=(6-v^2,v), v ∈ [0,6]. The parametrization for the surface F is given by r(u,v)=(u,v, 6-u-v^2), but the limits of each parameter are unknown.
CGMath
An area A in the (x,y) plane is limited by the y-axis and a parabola with the equation x=6-y^2. Further, is a surface F given by the part of the graph for the function h(x,y)=6-x-y^2 which satisfies the conditions x>=0 and z>=0.

Determine a parametrization for A and for F.

So far I've got the parametrization for A, which i got to r(u,v)=(6-v^2,v), v ∈ [0,6].

My attempt of a solution for F is r(u,v)=(u,v, 6-u-v^2), but i am not sure about the limits of each parameter and if it's the correct parametrization. Could someone help me out?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
CGMath said:
An area A in the (x,y) plane is limited by the y-axis and a parabola with the equation x=6-y^2. Further, is a surface F given by the part of the graph for the function h(x,y)=6-x-y^2 which satisfies the conditions x>=0 and z>=0.

Determine a parametrization for A and for F.

So far I've got the parametrization for A, which i got to r(u,v)=(6-v^2,v), v ∈ [0,6].

My attempt of a solution for F is r(u,v)=(u,v, 6-u-v^2), but i am not sure about the limits of each parameter and if it's the correct parametrization. Could someone help me out?

Thanks!
First, let's talk about F. I agree with what you have done, but I don't see any reason to rename the parameters so I would have written$$
\vec r(x,y) = \langle x,y,6-x-y^2\rangle$$Your parameterization for A isn't correct because it has only one variable, thus describing a curve instead of an area. The easy way to parameterize A would be just to take the z coordinate equal zero in the parameterization of the surface. Using a different letter that would give$$
\vec R(x,y) = \langle x,y,0\rangle$$I know, that doesn't seem correct because x and y could vary all over the place, which brings us to your original question: what are the limits? Well, what limits would you use for a double intgral over that xy region if you were calculating its area? You will find your answer there.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your reply and help!

I think i got it now :) I got a new problem now, i'll have to find the volume between those two parameterizations, but i'll let my brain struggle with that one for a bit longer.

Take care!

Related to Parametrization for Surface F and Area A

1. What is parametrization of a surface?

Parametrization of a surface is a mathematical process used to describe a surface in three-dimensional space using two parameters, typically denoted as u and v. This allows us to represent the surface as a function of these parameters, providing a way to "map" the surface onto a two-dimensional plane.

2. Why is parametrization of a surface important?

Parametrization of a surface is important because it allows us to study and analyze complex three-dimensional surfaces in a more manageable way. By representing a surface as a function of two parameters, we can more easily calculate important properties such as curvature, area, and volume. It also provides a way to visualize and manipulate the surface using mathematical techniques.

3. How is a surface parametrized?

A surface can be parametrized using a set of parametric equations, where the x, y, and z coordinates are each expressed as a function of the two parameters u and v. These equations can vary depending on the type of surface being parametrized, but they all follow the same general format of x = f(u,v), y = g(u,v), and z = h(u,v).

4. What are the benefits of using parametrization of a surface?

There are several benefits of using parametrization of a surface. One of the main benefits is that it allows us to easily calculate important properties of the surface, such as curvature and area. It also provides a way to visualize and manipulate the surface using mathematical techniques. Additionally, parametrization can simplify certain calculations and make it easier to represent and work with complex surfaces.

5. Are there different methods of parametrization?

Yes, there are different methods of parametrization depending on the type of surface being parametrized. Some common methods include rectangular coordinates, spherical coordinates, and cylindrical coordinates. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of surfaces.