Parametrization of a Moebius Strip

In summary, there are a few different methods for parametrizing a Möbius strip. One way is to use the parametric equations for a circle and draw vectors out to other points on the strip. Another way is to use a function from [0, 1]² → R³ such that f(0, x) = f(1, 1-x), although this may result in self-intersecting functions. Another method involves using a pair of numbers (u, v) to select a point on the strip, but this may also result in a non-single-valued parametrization. It is also possible to use a transformation involving translations and rotations to create a Möbius strip from a line in the X
amcavoy
I was wondering about the different methods by which one could "parametrize" a Moebius Strip. I asked someone about this a while ago, and they said that since the center of a Moebius Strip (z=0) is a circle, you can begin with the parametric equations for that and draw vectors out to other points on the strip. Is there another way to do this?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Certainly. Any function f from [0, 1]² → R³ with f(0, x) = f(1, 1-x) would suffice (although many would be self-intersecting). I can't think of another easy way to do it, though.

Last edited:
Alright. I never got anywhere trying to do it with vectors (although I know I would have to introduce a new variable). How would you begin to do this?

Thanks again.

No matter how you do it, your parametrization has to have two variables...

Start off by trying to figure out, in words, how to select a point on the Möbius strip by using the pair of numbers (u, v). Once you can work out these details, then it should be straightforward to write it down.

It's not as simple as it looks.

If you just try to parameterize the edges it will work out. But when you parameterize
the surface, you will find that there are two different parameter sets
corresponding to each point on the surface. In other words, the
obvious parameterization is not single-valued.

Try it with a pencil and paper and you'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Yes, looking at the equations themselves it all makes sense. I just didn't know whether to introduce a new parameter as an angle, or a portion of the half-width. Can a Klein Bottle be done in a similar way?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Sorry bout being a bit late, but this is how you could see the creation of a mobius strip:

Let R>1:
Rotate the line [R,0,u] (-1<=u<=1) in the XZ-plane over an angle of v/2 around the center of the line.
Rotate the line over an angle v around the Z-axis.

The transformation thus consists of a translation, rotation round Y, inverse translation, rotation round Z.

(I have a maple file with all the steps worked out in full detail if you're interested)

Dr Avalanchez said:
Sorry bout being a bit late, but this is how you could see the creation of a mobius strip:

Let R>1:
Rotate the line [R,0,u] (-1<=u<=1) in the XZ-plane over an angle of v/2 around the center of the line.
Rotate the line over an angle v around the Z-axis.

The transformation thus consists of a translation, rotation round Y, inverse translation, rotation round Z.

(I have a maple file with all the steps worked out in full detail if you're interested)

I am interested. Please send it (or upload it here) if possible.

The way I looked at it was to take the radius of the circle on the plane z=0. Let this be R. Looking at the strip, it seems clear that the angle the strip makes with the xy plane is t/2, where t is the parameter of the circle of radius R. Now introduce a new variable m so that m∈[-n,n] where n is the half-width of the strip. The equations seemed to follow:

x=[R+n*cos(t/2)]*cos(t)
y=[R+n*cos(t/2)]*sin(t)
z=n*sin(t/2)

Rename the file to .mw

Attachments

• mobius.mw.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 651
Great thanks a lot. By the way, is there a similar way to do this for a Klein Bottle? It seems a bit more elusive.

apmcavoy said:
Great thanks a lot. By the way, is there a similar way to do this for a Klein Bottle? It seems a bit more elusive.

Probably, but I'll have to think about it. (don't hold your breath, I'm in the middle of exams)

FAQ: Parametrization of a Moebius Strip

1. What is a Moebius Strip?

A Moebius Strip is a two-dimensional surface with only one side and one edge. It is a topological object that was discovered by German mathematician August Ferdinand Moebius in 1858. The unique characteristic of a Moebius Strip is that if you trace your finger along its surface, you will eventually end up on the same side you started from, without ever crossing an edge.

2. How is a Moebius Strip parametrized?

A Moebius Strip can be parametrized using two parameters, u and v, which represent the angles of rotation around the central axis and the distance from the central axis, respectively. The parametric equations for a Moebius Strip are x = (1 + v*cos(u/2))*cos(u), y = (1 + v*cos(u/2))*sin(u), and z = v*sin(u/2).

3. What are the applications of parametrization of a Moebius Strip?

Parametrization of a Moebius Strip has various applications in different fields such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to create complex surfaces in computer graphics, model the behavior of particles in physics, and design innovative structures in engineering.

4. How is a Moebius Strip different from a regular strip of paper?

A regular strip of paper has two distinct sides and two edges, while a Moebius Strip has only one side and one edge. If you cut a regular strip of paper down the middle, you will get two separate strips, but if you cut a Moebius Strip down the middle, you will get one larger strip with two twists in it.

5. Can a Moebius Strip exist in three dimensions?

No, a Moebius Strip is a two-dimensional object and cannot exist in three dimensions. However, it is possible to create a three-dimensional object with a similar characteristic by taking a cylinder and giving one end a half-twist before attaching the two ends together. This object is known as a three-dimensional Moebius Strip or a Klein bottle.

Back