Parametrization of Witch of Agnesi

In summary, the question is about trigonometric translation properties, specifically for a circle centered at (0,a). The position vector of P is given by (a*sin(θ), a-a*cos(θ)). The y coordinates of R should be a-a*cos(θ), and R's x coordinate is equal to the x coordinate of Q, which is given by x = (2a/m), where m = (1-cos(θ))/sin(θ). The correct answer is γ(θ) = (2a*cot(θ), a*(1-cos(2θ))), where θ is substituted for 2θ and some trigonometric identities are used.
PWiz

Homework Statement

upload_2015-2-15_17-11-41.png

The question is completely described in the photo.

Homework Equations

Trigonometric translation properties

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is in two dimensions, so I'm ignoring the z coordinates. For a circle centered at (0,a), the position vector of P is ##(a## ##sin(θ),a-a## ##cos(θ))## (by taking into consideration what theta is in this problem) since ##a## ##cos(\frac{3π}{2}+θ)=a## ##sin(θ)## and ##a+a## ##sin(\frac{3π}{2}+θ)=a-a## ##cos(θ)## .
Therefore, the y coordinates of R should be ##a-a## ##cos(θ)## . R's x coordinate equals to the x coordinate of Q, which is given by ##x=\frac{2a}{m}## , where ##m=\frac{1-cos(θ)}{sin(θ)}## .
So my answer is ##γ(θ) = (\frac{2asin(θ)}{1-cos(θ)},a-cos(θ))##. However, the correct answer is ##γ(θ) = (2a## ##cot(θ), a(1-cos(2θ))##. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are calling ##\theta##, your solution manual calls ##2\theta##. Make this substitution and use some trigonometric identities and you will get the same. This is of course only a different parametrisation. You are also missing an a multiplying the cos in your y coordinate.

Oops, I made a typo at the end there. And yes, if it is as you say, then my answer would be correct, although why my book refers to ##\theta## as ##2\theta## is beyond me. Thank you.

Related to Parametrization of Witch of Agnesi

1. What is the Witch of Agnesi?

The Witch of Agnesi is a mathematical curve that is named after Italian mathematician Maria Gaetana Agnesi. It is also known as the Versiera curve and is defined by the equation y = (8a^3) / (x^2 + 4a^2), where a is the radius of the curve.

2. Why is it called the Witch of Agnesi?

The name "Witch of Agnesi" comes from a mistranslation of the Italian term "versiera", which means "turning" or "to turn". The original name of the curve was "La Versiera", but it was mistranslated to "La Virgola" (the comma) and then to "La Bruxa" (the witch) in Portuguese. Over time, it became known as the Witch of Agnesi in English.

3. What is the significance of the Witch of Agnesi in mathematics?

The Witch of Agnesi is significant because it is one of the first examples of a curve that was studied by mathematicians purely for its mathematical properties, rather than for its physical meaning. It also has important applications in geometry, calculus, and physics.

4. How is the Witch of Agnesi parametrized?

The Witch of Agnesi can be parametrized by using the equations x = 2a tan(theta) and y = 2a sin^2(theta), where theta is the parameter. This parametrization allows us to graph the curve in terms of the parameter theta, rather than in terms of x and y.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Witch of Agnesi?

The Witch of Agnesi has several real-world applications, including in physics where it is used to model fluid dynamics and in engineering where it is used to design curved structures. It also has applications in statistics, where it is used to describe the shape of a normal distribution curve.