Parametrizatrion of a Straight Line Segment in C - Simple Issue

In summary, the problem with Example 1.22 is that Peter was unable to show that \gamma (t) \ = \ z ( 1 - t), which he suspects is a simple algebraic manipulation of symbols.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Mathews and Howell's book: Complex Analysis for Mathematics and Engineering. I am currently reading Section 1.6 - "The Topology of Complex Numbers". I have a problem with an aspect of Example 1.22 on page 38. My problem is a simple one related to algebraic manipulation of a couple of expressions ...

Example 1.22 reads as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3747
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3748

In the above M&H write:

" ... ... Clearly one parametrization for -C is

\(\displaystyle -C : \gamma (t) \ = \ z_1 + (z_0 - z_1) t, \ \ \ \text{ for } 0 \le t \le 1\).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that \(\displaystyle \gamma (t) \ = \ z ( 1 - t)\), ... ... ... "

My problem is that I cannot show that \(\displaystyle \gamma (t) \ = \ z ( 1 - t)\), which I suspect is a simple manipulation of symbols ...
Basically, we have

\(\displaystyle \gamma (t) \ = \ z_1 + (z_0 - z_1) t \ = \ z_1 + z_0 t - z_1 t \) ... ... ... ... (1)But \(\displaystyle z (1-t) \ = \ [ z_0 + (z_1 - z_0) t ] ( 1 - t ) \)

\(\displaystyle = z_0 + ( z_1 - z_0 ) t - z_0 t - ( z_1 - z_0 ) t^2\) ... ... ... ... (2)Now I cannot see how further manipulation of the terms of (2) is going to give me the expression in (1) ... ... so how do we derive the equation \(\displaystyle \gamma (t) \ = \ z ( 1 - t)\) ... ...

Hoping someone can help with this (apparently) simple issue ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Basically, we have

\(\displaystyle \gamma (t) \ = \ z_1 + (z_0 - z_1) t \ = \ z_1 + z_0 t - z_1 t \) ... ... ... ... (1)But \(\displaystyle z (1-t) \ = \ [ z_0 + (z_1 - z_0) t ] ( 1 - t ) \)

\(\displaystyle = z_0 + ( z_1 - z_0 ) t - z_0 t - ( z_1 - z_0 ) t^2\) ... ... ... ... (2)Now I cannot see how further manipulation of the terms of (2) is going to give me the expression in (1) ... ... so how do we derive the equation \(\displaystyle \gamma (t) \ = \ z ( 1 - t)\) ... ...

Hoping someone can help with this (apparently) simple issue ...

Peter
In this calculation, $z(1-t)$ does not mean $z$ multiplied by $1-t$. It means the function $z$ evaluated at $1-t$. So if $z(t) = z_0 + (z_1 - z_0) t$ then $z(1-t) = z_0 + (z_1 - z_0) (1-t)$.

Opalg said:
In this calculation, $z(1-t)$ does not mean $z$ multiplied by $1-t$. It means the function $z$ evaluated at $1-t$. So if $z(t) = z_0 + (z_1 - z_0) t$ then $z(1-t) = z_0 + (z_1 - z_0) (1-t)$.
Oh, yes of course!

... ... brain fade on my part ... ... quite silly of me ... ...

Thanks for the help Opalg,

Peter

Related to Parametrizatrion of a Straight Line Segment in C - Simple Issue

1. What is parametrization of a straight line segment in C?

Parametrization of a straight line segment in C is a mathematical process in which a straight line is represented by a set of parameters, typically in the form of equations or coordinates. This allows for a more flexible and efficient way to describe and manipulate straight lines in computer programming.

2. Why is parametrization of a straight line segment useful in C?

Parametrization of a straight line segment is useful in C because it allows for easier manipulation and calculation of straight lines in computer programming. It also allows for more complex shapes to be created using straight lines, making it a crucial tool in computer graphics and animation.

3. How is a straight line segment parametrized in C?

A straight line segment can be parametrized in C by using a linear equation in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This equation can be modified to include additional parameters such as the starting and ending points of the line, allowing for more precise control over the line's properties.

4. Are there any limitations to the parametrization of a straight line segment in C?

While parametrization of a straight line segment is a useful tool, it does have its limitations. For example, it may not be able to accurately represent curved lines or lines with sharp angles. In addition, the precision and accuracy of the parametrization may be affected by the floating-point arithmetic used in computer programming.

5. Can parametrization of a straight line segment be applied to other programming languages besides C?

Yes, parametrization of a straight line segment can be applied to other programming languages besides C. Many programming languages have built-in functions or libraries that allow for the parametrization of straight lines, making it a widely used technique in computer graphics and animation.