Paratrooper falls without parachute

• Thread starter confusedaboutphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parachute
In summary, a paratrooper pilot fell 370 m without his parachute opening and landed in a snowbank, creating a 1.0 m deep crater. Despite the fall, the pilot survived with only minor injuries. Using the work-energy theorem, the work done by the snow in bringing him to rest can be estimated as -94485 J. To find the average force exerted on the pilot by the snow to stop him, the work done must be divided by the distance over which the force is applied. Finally, to estimate the work done on the pilot by air resistance, the difference between the potential energy he had at the top (due to his mass and height) and the kinetic energy he had at the bottom (due to
confusedaboutphysics
A paratrooper pilot fell 370 m after jumping without his parachute opening. He landed in a snowbank, creating a crater 1.0 m deep, but survived with only minor injuries. Assume the pilot's mass was 75 kg and his terminal velocity was 50 m/s.

(a) Estimate the work done by the snow in bringing him to the rest.
(b) Estimate the average force exerted on him by the snow to stop him.
(c) Estimate the work done on him by the air resistance as he fell.

I am totally lost on this problem...can someone help me on how to start the problem?? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hints:

(a) See the "work-energy theorem"
(b) after finding that answer, how is work calculated?
(c) What KE should he have had after falling from that height? What KE did he have?

thanks chi meson...i got part A as -94485 J, but I'm having problems with part B. I'm still confused about how to find the average force exerted on him by the snow to stop him..help please!

Last edited:
confusedaboutphysics said:
thanks chi meson...i got part A as -94485 J, but I'm having problems with part B. I'm still confused about how to find the average force exerted on him by the snow to stop him..help please!

How is work related to force?

Related to Paratrooper falls without parachute

1. What happens to a paratrooper who falls without a parachute?

Without a parachute, the paratrooper will experience a free fall until they reach the ground. This can result in serious injuries or death.

2. Can a paratrooper survive a fall without a parachute?

It is highly unlikely for a paratrooper to survive a fall without a parachute. The impact of hitting the ground at high speeds is usually fatal.

3. How long can a paratrooper survive without a parachute?

The survival time of a paratrooper falling without a parachute depends on various factors such as their height when they fall, their body position, and the type of terrain they land on. However, it is safe to assume that survival time would be very short.

4. What are the chances of surviving a fall without a parachute?

The chances of surviving a fall without a parachute are extremely low. It is estimated that only 1% of people who experience a fall from an airplane without a parachute survive.

5. Are there any documented cases of paratroopers surviving a fall without a parachute?

There have been a few documented cases of people surviving a fall without a parachute, but they are very rare. These individuals were extremely lucky and were often falling from lower heights or had some sort of assistance during their fall.