Part time Masters with Full time job

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of completing a master's degree while working full-time in the US, particularly in cities like San Jose or Los Angeles. The possibility of taking evening classes or enrolling in online programs is discussed, as well as the challenges of navigating traffic and work schedules. It is mentioned that some companies offer benefits for employees to pursue higher education, and the importance of weighing job opportunities against educational goals is highlighted. The conversation ends with gratitude for the helpful responses.
phys_student1
Hi everybody

I have applied for a job in a company in California (I am from outside US)

Now, I was just thinking..

Suppose I will work in "San Jose" or perhaps "Los Angeles"

Will I be able to complete my master studies ?

In my city, things goes like this: Almost all universities' composes are in the city

center, so usually one would ask for a leave request at 2:30 , reach the university

at 3:00, just in time to join the lecture.

But in USA, I know cities are very big, so I don't know how usually one could arrange

these things...Is it usually allowed to leave the work before, say, 4 or 5 pm ?

When does evening master classes begin ?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the institution, but many community/state colleges have night programs oriented towards working professionals. You could also try enrolling in an online degree program.

I don't think you're going to be able to leave work early to go to class. Traffic is fairly bad in major US cities like LA, and if the company is paying you to work, they expect you to work.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually get the job (and visa) to work in the US.

What masters program are you interested in? Very few of them offer night classes or would let you have a job at the same time, unless the company has a deal with the university for their employees to study the masters program, in which case the company will let you leave to take the classes.

@fss:

Thanks, but I've already been selected for the interview, so I think I should worry.

Regarding leaving the work, I think I should contact the company and ask them before anything. Ask them if the employee is allowed to study or not (and that neccissate leaving
the work early some days).

@eri:

Let's say it's either physics or EE...

--------

I am really concerned because If there's no chance to complete my studies then I may not
accept such a job..

one more question: Are non-US citizens allowed to enroll in state universities ??

ali8 said:
Thanks, but I've already been selected for the interview, so I think I should worry.

Why? Your energy is better spent looking for a different job if that one doesn't work out.

Regarding leaving the work, I think I should contact the company and ask them before anything. Ask them if the employee is allowed to study or not (and that neccissate leaving
the work early some days).

I wouldn't do this if I were you. This will be seen as presumptuous.

I am really concerned because If there's no chance to complete my studies then I may not
accept such a job..

Seems like you need to decide what's (more) important to you; your job or your education.

ali8 said:
one more question: Are non-US citizens allowed to enroll in state universities ??

Yes.

I am doing exactly this right now, plus I am married and have a little girl and we are expecting our second baby next June. I work full-time M-F 8am-430pm, and my classes start at 5pm (others at 530pm, 7pm). I live in Los Angeles and am attending CSULB for a master’s in applied physics; I work close to CSULB so I leave promptly at 430. So yes, traffic is hectic, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll know how to get there in 30 min by taking side surface streets or other shortcuts. It’s stressing because its’ an adventure getting to class, but its very doable to get a masters while working full time as far as organizing your work schedule is concerned. Why don’t you try looking for a job at a local city/public agency or a business that has an early morning shift where you can work say from 6am to 2pm (if you don’t want to hassle with late afternoon traffic) and go to school in the early afternoon and evening?

If you look in the "Benifits" section of company websites, you'll often (for the bigger high-tech companies) see an Honors Coop benifit, to help you get your Masters degree, if it also helps the company. The company helps you get admitted to the program at a local college, and generally pays the tuition and fees.

This program at Stanford is used by many Silicon Valley companies as a benifit to both them and the employee:

http://ee.stanford.edu/admissions.php?p=2

It's a fair question to ask the companies you are considering what the options are for you to get your Masters degree with their help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I got the idea now :)

Thanks everybody for your helpful posts.

Ali

Related to Part time Masters with Full time job

1. What is a part-time master's program with a full-time job?

A part-time master's program with a full-time job refers to a graduate program that allows individuals to pursue a master's degree while also working a full-time job. This type of program typically has a more flexible schedule and can be completed over a longer period of time compared to a traditional full-time program.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a part-time master's program with a full-time job?

There are several benefits to pursuing a part-time master's program with a full-time job. These include the ability to gain practical work experience while studying, the opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge directly to your job, and the potential to receive financial support from your employer for tuition costs.

3. What is the typical duration of a part-time master's program with a full-time job?

The duration of a part-time master's program with a full-time job can vary depending on the specific program and the student's schedule. However, on average, these programs can take anywhere from 2-4 years to complete, as students are typically taking fewer courses per semester compared to a full-time program.

4. Can I balance a part-time master's program with a full-time job?

Yes, it is possible to balance a part-time master's program with a full-time job. However, it requires strong time-management skills and dedication to both work and studies. It is important to carefully plan and prioritize tasks in order to successfully balance these commitments.

5. What types of master's programs are available for part-time study with a full-time job?

There are a variety of master's programs that offer part-time study options for students with full-time jobs. Some popular fields include business, education, healthcare, and technology. It is important to research and find a program that aligns with your career goals and allows for a flexible schedule.