Partial Derivative of f(x,y): Solving with Maple & Book

In summary: So you should have:h_x(x,y)=\frac{2xy\cos(xy)-\frac{2x^2y^2\sin(xy)}{\cos^2(xy)}}{\cos^2(xy)}If you then apply the chain rule to the term with sine in it, you'll find that you get the correct answer.
Yankel
Hello all,

I am trying to calculate the second order of the partial derivative by x of the function:

f(x,y)=(x^2)*tan(xy)

In the attach images you can see my work.

Both the answer in the book where it came from and maple say that the answer is almost correct, but not entirely. In the last fracture in the answer, they say it should be cos(xy)^2, while in my answer is seems to be cos(xy)^3.

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong...

I am attaching also the answer from the book.

Thank you !

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    1.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    5.9 KB · Views: 69
Physics news on Phys.org
We are given:

\(\displaystyle f(x,y)=x^2\tan(xy)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle f_{x}(x,y)=x^2\left(\sec^2(xy)(y) \right)+2x\tan(xy)=x^2y\sec^2(xy)+2x\tan(xy)\)

and so:

\(\displaystyle f_{xx}(x,y)=\left(x^2y \right)\left(2\sec(xy)\left(\sec(xy)\tan(xy) \right)(y) \right)+(2xy)\sec^2(xy)+(2x)\left(\sec^2(xy)(y) \right)+2\tan(xy)=\)

\(\displaystyle 2x^2y^2\sec^2(xy)\tan(xy)+4xy\sec^2(xy)+2\tan(xy)\)

thank you, can you please show me where was the mistake in my solution ?

because I just did it again for the second order derivative by y...I always get 3rd power when it's 2nd, I can't find out what I am doing wrong

I am a bit confused by the images. I have the feeling the ones with $f_x$ and $f_{xx}$ are your work, whereas the one with $\partial^2 w / \partial x^2$ is from the book. I'm having a hard time figuring out then where you could have gone wrong, so I'll spell out the passages and we can work together to find out where you went astray. :)

For the first partial derivative we have

$$
\begin{align}
f_x & = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x^2 \tan (xy) \\
& = 2x \tan (xy) + x^2 \sec^2 (xy) \cdot y.
\end{align}
$$

For the second partial derivative we have

$$
\begin{align}
f_{xx} & = 2 \tan (xy) + 2x \sec^2 (xy) \cdot y + 2xy \sec^2 (xy) + x^2 y \cdot (2 \sec (xy)) \cdot \tan (xy) \cdot \sec (xy) \cdot y \\
& = 2 \tan (xy) + 4xy \sec^2 (xy) + 2 (xy)^2 \sec^2 (xy) \tan (xy).
\end{align}
$$

I am under the impression the greatest difficulty is in the second partial derivative. Let's investigate in closer detail. There are two functions to be differentiated: namely $2x \tan(xy)$ and $x^2 y \sec^2 (xy)$.

The first one requires the product rule for the functions $2x$ and $\tan (xy)$, yielding $2$ and $y \sec^2 (xy)$, therefore

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x} 2x \tan (xy) = 2 \tan (xy) + 2 xy \sec^2 (xy),$$

which are the first two terms.

The second is the hardest, because we have to apply chain rule many times: for $\sec^2 (xy)$, then for $\sec (xy)$ and then for $xy$. Differentiating $x^2 y$ gives $2xy$, but differentiating $\sec^2 (xy)$ gives

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \sec^2 (xy) = 2 \sec (xy) \cdot (\tan (xy) \cdot \sec(xy)) \cdot y,$$

therefore

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x} x^2 y \sec^2 (xy) = 2xy \sec^2 (xy) + x^2 y (2 y \sec^2 (xy) \tan(xy)) = 2xy \sec^2 (xy) + 2 (xy)^2 \sec^2 (xy) \tan (xy).$$

Best wishes. :)

Many thanks, I found my mistake...stupid one as expected.

you mentioned the chain rule, well, I multiplied by 2, I knew that cos becomes sin (the inner function), but I forgot to multiply by cos as well...

that's what I call a big Oop's :eek:

Yankel said:
thank you, can you please show me where was the mistake in my solution ?

because I just did it again for the second order derivative by y...I always get 3rd power when it's 2nd, I can't find out what I am doing wrong

I see where you are going wrong, it is in your application of the quotient rule, and within that, your application of the chain rule. It is this term you are differentiating incorrectly:

\(\displaystyle h(x,y)=\frac{x^2y}{\cos^2(xy)}\)

Now, applying the quotient rule to this, we find:

\(\displaystyle h_x(x,y)=\frac{\cos^2(xy)(2xy)-x^2y\left(2\cos(xy)\sin(xy)(y) \right)}{\cos^4(xy)}=\frac{2xy\cos(xy)-2x^2y^2\sin(xy)}{\cos^3(xy)}\)

You see, when you differentiated the term \(\displaystyle \cos^2(xy)\), you wrote \(\displaystyle 2y\sin(xy)\), when you need \(\displaystyle 2y\cos(xy)\sin(xy)\). Note also that the quotient rule has a difference in the numerator, not a sum.

Related to Partial Derivative of f(x,y): Solving with Maple & Book

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant.

2. How is the partial derivative of a function calculated?

The partial derivative of a function is calculated by taking the derivative of the function with respect to the specific variable, while treating all other variables as constants. This is represented by a partial derivative symbol (∂) followed by the variable in which the function is being differentiated with respect to.

3. What is Maple and how does it help in solving partial derivatives?

Maple is a software program used for mathematical computation and visualization. It has built-in tools and functions specifically designed for solving partial derivatives, making it a useful tool for scientists and mathematicians.

4. Can Maple solve any type of partial derivative?

Yes, Maple has the capability to solve all types of partial derivatives, including first-order and higher-order derivatives, implicit derivatives, and vector and matrix derivatives. It also has the ability to handle complex and multivariable functions.

5. How does the book "Partial Derivative of f(x,y): Solving with Maple & Book" help in understanding partial derivatives?

The book provides a comprehensive guide on how to use Maple to solve partial derivatives, with step-by-step instructions and examples. It also includes explanations of key concepts and techniques, making it a useful resource for those learning about partial derivatives or looking to improve their skills in using Maple for mathematical computations.

Back