Partial derivative problem.... why is my answer wrong?

In summary: More simply: the two people get closer together as ##t## increases.Have you tried fewer decimals? Four significant digits is a bit much considering the numbers given.
Daniel Sellers

Homework Statement

The entire problem is in the attached picture. I have been checking and double checking for about an hour, found solutions online which agree with my solution, but I cannot find any answer beside -3.697 m/s which is marked wrong by the computer program.

Homework Equations

Is the homework program wrong or am I somehow missing something?

df/dt = (2x-y)/(2(x^2+y^2-xy)^(1/2))(dx/dt) + (2y-x)/(2*(x^2+y^2 -xy)^(1/2))(dy/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

All of this works out to -3.697. I have tried rounding, leaving the answer as postive, nothing seems to work. Very frustrated.
upload_2017-11-28_22-25-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-28_22-25-24.png
    upload_2017-11-28_22-25-24.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
I also get 3.697... but where did u get the minus sign from, you input the velocities as negatives?

Delta² said:
I also get 3.697... but where did u get the minus sign from, you input the velocities as negatives?

The minus sign comes from the fact that the distances x and y at time t will be given by x = 21 - 5t and y = 25 - 3t hence dx/dt = -5 and dy/dt = -3. But the computer will not accept it either way. Unless anyone else can see some mistake we've both made, I will now go complain to my teacher!

Thanks

Daniel Sellers said:
The minus sign comes from the fact that the distances x and y at time t will be given by x = 21 - 5t and y = 25 - 3t hence dx/dt = -5 and dy/dt = -3. But the computer will not accept it either way. Unless anyone else can see some mistake we've both made, I will now go complain to my teacher!

Thanks

I agree with your answer.

Daniel Sellers said:

Thanks

More simply: the two people get closer together as ##t## increases.

Likes WWGD
Have you tried fewer decimals? Four significant digits is a bit much considering the numbers given.

Likes Delta2
It turns out that whoever wrote my homework program has never in their life heard of significant figures. Given the values involved the answer should contain only 1 sigfig, but the solution was to input SIX MORE DECIMAL PLACES from my calculator.

Likes DrClaude
Daniel Sellers said:
It turns out that whoever wrote my homework program has never in their life heard of significant figures. Given the values involved the answer should contain only 1 sigfig, but the solution was to input SIX MORE DECIMAL PLACES from my calculator.
And I suggested you use fewer :rolleyes:

Related to Partial derivative problem.... why is my answer wrong?

1. What is a partial derivative and how is it different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It differs from a regular derivative, which measures the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable.

2. Why am I getting a different answer when calculating a partial derivative compared to a regular derivative?

The partial derivative only considers the change in the function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. This can result in a different answer compared to a regular derivative, which takes into account the change in the function with respect to all variables.

3. How do I know if my answer for a partial derivative problem is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your answer, you should check if it satisfies the necessary conditions for a partial derivative, such as satisfying the definition and being continuous at the point of differentiation. You can also verify your answer by using other methods, such as the chain rule or implicit differentiation.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving a partial derivative problem?

Some common mistakes include mixing up the order of variables, not properly applying the chain rule, and not simplifying the expression before taking the derivative. It is also important to double-check the given function and the variables used to ensure they are correct.

5. How can I improve my understanding of partial derivatives and avoid making mistakes in the future?

To improve your understanding, it is important to practice solving various types of partial derivative problems and to review the concepts and formulas regularly. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or attend study groups to clarify any confusion. Additionally, checking your answers and understanding why they are correct or incorrect can also aid in improving your understanding.