Partial derivative stationary point

In summary, the student is having trouble solving a function, and is having some trouble with the derivatives. He set the functions to 0 and tried to solve them, but wasn't successful. He thinks he has a stationary point, but needs help to prove it.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I am having real trouble with the function 10ii) I can take the derivatives, but I feel like I am missing something, with what I have done. I set $f_x=0$and $f_y=0$ but really can't seem to find away to solve, i keep getting (0,0) which when I plug into wolfram it come out with $$x=0,y=-1/2$$, $$x=-1,y=0$$ and $$x=1, y=-2$$
So this make me think have I done the partial right?

upload_2017-2-23_19-49-18.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=-2(x^2y-x-1)(2xy-1)-2(x^2-1)(2x)$$
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial y}=-2(x^2y-x-1)(x^2)$$$$-2(x^2y-x-1)(2xy-1)-2(x^2-1)(2x)=0$$
$$-2(x^2y-x-1)(x^2)=0$$

but where do I go from here?

Could someone please give advice, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
I set ##f_x=0\ ## and ##f_y=0##

Two hashes (#) to get inline ##\TeX##, two dollars ($) to get displayed math :smile:

Check ##f_x## and ##f_y## (*); once OK, ##f_y## gives you something to substitute in ##f_x=0##

(*) [edit] right, thanks Dick :smile: (I copied the 2 inside the [ ] o:) )

Last edited:
The partials look ok. Think about the y derivative first. It's zero if i) x=0 OR y=?. Fill in the ? with an expression in x. Substitute that into the x derivative.

Not every function of x and y has a stationary point - it is always possible that your function has none.
In that case you will not be able to find it! But then you have to prove it doesn't exist.
In this case I think there is a stationary point.
fy is nicely factorised, which is help. One of the factors is closely related to a bracket in fx which is another help.

Not every condition for one of your derivatives to be 0 necessarily allows the the other to be 0. :oldwink:
(Though even if it doesn't, your zeros of one of them still gives information about what the surface f looks like)

FAQ: Partial derivative stationary point

1. What is a partial derivative stationary point?

A partial derivative stationary point is a point on a function where the partial derivative with respect to one of the variables is equal to zero. This means that the function is not changing in the direction of that variable, and can indicate a local maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

2. How do you find a partial derivative stationary point?

To find a partial derivative stationary point, you need to take the partial derivative of the function with respect to one of the variables and set it equal to zero. This will give you an equation that you can solve for the variable to find the stationary point.

3. What is the significance of a partial derivative stationary point?

A partial derivative stationary point can indicate a local maximum, minimum, or saddle point on a function. It can also be used to optimize functions in multivariable calculus by finding the values of the variables that result in the maximum or minimum value of the function.

4. Can a function have more than one partial derivative stationary point?

Yes, a function can have multiple partial derivative stationary points. This can occur when the function has multiple variables and is not changing in the direction of each variable at different points, resulting in multiple points where the partial derivative is equal to zero.

5. How is a partial derivative stationary point different from a global extremum?

A partial derivative stationary point is a point on a function where the partial derivative with respect to one of the variables is equal to zero. This can indicate a local maximum, minimum, or saddle point. A global extremum, on the other hand, is a point on a function where the function has the highest or lowest value over its entire domain. A partial derivative stationary point does not necessarily guarantee a global extremum.