Partial differential derivation

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on solving a problem involving the partial derivative chain rule. They initially thought that they had to derive it from first principles, but eventually realized that they were overthinking the problem. They also ask if they can use the same method to derive the partial chain rule from first principles.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I am having a problem, knowing where to start with this question. Before I spend trying derive the partial derivative chain rule from first principles I would just like to know if this is what this questions is asking. If it is not asking that, how do I go about solving it.
upload_2017-3-3_2-20-29.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not shown solution beacuse I am unware where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
I have mange to come up with one solution, which: If I think that y,x are all functions of t. Then I could say: dx=dx/dt *dt and dy=dy/dt *dt sub into the total differential and get ##\partial{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}*dt+\partial{df}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt}*dt## I am just unsure of this method, I feel like I am cheating, any advice?

Taylor_1989 said:
I have mange to come up with one solution, which: If I think that y,x are all functions of t. Then I could say: dx=dx/dt *dt and dy=dy/dt *dt sub into the total differential and get ##\partial{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}*dt+\partial{df}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt}*dt## I am just unsure of this method, I feel like I am cheating, any advice?
This -- ##\partial{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}*dt+\partial{df}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt}*dt## -- doesn't make any sense. The expression ##df## is defined (it's the differential of f), but this one ##\partial f## doesn't mean anything.

You have f(x, y) where x is a function of t and y is another function of t. This means that f is ultimately a function of t, albeit one with two parameters.

Sorry for the bad latex, I did eventually solve the problem. I was over thinking the problem and thought I had to derive partial chain rule from first principles, which I on my way to doing, by deriving the non partial chain rule. As a question, am I on the right lines if I derive chain rule from first principles then, then apply the same method to partial, would I be able to derive the above formula?

Taylor_1989 said:
Sorry for the bad latex, I did eventually solve the problem. I was over thinking the problem and thought I had to derive partial chain rule from first principles, which I on my way to doing, by deriving the non partial chain rule. As a question, am I on the right lines if I derive chain rule from first principles then, then apply the same method to partial, would I be able to derive the above formula?
Which formula above do you mean?

Related to Partial differential derivation

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It describes how a function changes with respect to these variables and their rates of change at a specific point in space and time.

2. What is the difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative?

A partial derivative is the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. An ordinary derivative, on the other hand, is the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable. In other words, a partial derivative considers the effect of one variable on the function, while an ordinary derivative considers the overall change of the function.

3. What is the role of boundary conditions in solving a partial differential equation?

Boundary conditions are constraints that are applied to a partial differential equation in order to obtain a unique solution. They specify the values of the dependent variable at the boundaries of the domain in which the equation is being solved. Without boundary conditions, a PDE may have an infinite number of solutions.

4. What are some applications of partial differential equations in science and engineering?

Partial differential equations are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. They are also used in engineering to analyze and design systems, such as in structural mechanics and control theory.

5. What are some common methods for solving partial differential equations?

Some common methods for solving partial differential equations include separation of variables, the method of characteristics, finite difference methods, and numerical methods such as finite element analysis. The choice of method depends on the specific type and complexity of the PDE being solved.

Back