Partial differentiation of a function

In summary, The conversation is about solving a problem involving partial differentiation with the given equations. The key is to use the chain rule to differentiate f(u) and then proceed with finding the partial derivative with respect to x. The solution is found by writing down the equation and its answers one line after another.
Topdeck
Hi, I've got the following problem:

Show that if [tex]z = x^nf(u)[/tex]
and [tex]u = y/x[/tex]
then [tex]x\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}} + y\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}} = nz[/tex]

I know partial differentiation fairly well, but I've never seen one laid out like this before, and am not too sure how to get started (i.e. find [tex]\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}[/tex]. I don't really know how to treat the [tex]f(u)[/tex]. Any pointers?

Thanks,
Toppers

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat f(u) like a function to be differentiated using the chain rule. Just write f '(u) and then proceed to differentiating the inside (u) with respect to the x variable (for dz/dx).

Thanks snipez, just what I needed. Which was basically to just start writing down the equation and its answers one line after another. Normally with these "show that if x and y then z" questions I can't see the answer coming until the last line, and this was no different.

- Toppers

Related to Partial differentiation of a function

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept used to find the rate of change of a multivariate function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. It is a fundamental tool in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Ordinary differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a single-variable function with respect to its independent variable. In partial differentiation, we are finding the rate of change of a multivariate function with respect to one of its variables, while keeping the other variables constant.

3. What is the notation used for partial differentiation?

The notation used for partial differentiation is similar to ordinary differentiation, but with the addition of subscripts. For example, the partial derivative of a function f with respect to the variable x would be denoted as ∂f/∂x.

4. When is partial differentiation used?

Partial differentiation is used in situations where a function has multiple variables and we need to find the rate of change of the function with respect to one specific variable while keeping the others constant. This is useful in analyzing complex systems and optimizing functions.

5. What are some real-life applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. Some examples include calculating the marginal cost of production in economics, finding the rate of change of temperature in thermodynamics, and optimizing the shape of an object for aerodynamics in engineering.