Partial Fraction Expansion with repeated & complex roots

In summary: Thanks again for the help!In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding coefficients using partial fraction expansion with repeated or complex roots. The cover-up method is mentioned but it does not work for polynomials with a degree higher than 2. The process involves setting the LHS and RHS equal to each other in different s-terms and solving for the coefficients. It is important to choose values for s that will simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. The s terms in brackets should equal zero and the singular coefficient should be determined first before solving for the remaining coefficients. This method may not work for equations with multiple repeated roots or complex roots.
CremeBrulee
I am having trouble to find a straight forward method for finding coefficients using partial fraction expansion with repeated or complex roots. My study notes arent too clear so I am finding the differentiation method hard to follow for repeated roots. As for complex roots I can find the roots using quadratic formula but then not sure how to find the coefficients? Are there any simple methods out there that can used used for these types of equations?Any help would be appriciated?

Repeated roots
4/s(s+1)^2

4/s(s+1)^2=k1/s + k2/s+1 + k3/(s+1)^2

k1=4; k3=-4 (Using cover up method)

k2=??

Complex roots
2/s(s^2+s+1)

(s^2+s+1) = -1/2 +/- j sqrt(3/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
That "cover-up" method doesn't work with any polynomial with a degree higher than 2.

You'll have to solve k1/s + k2/s+1 + k3/(s+1)^2 the normal way.

Last edited:
CremeBrulee said:
I am having trouble to find a straight forward method for finding coefficients using partial fraction expansion with repeated or complex roots. My study notes arent too clear so I am finding the differentiation method hard to follow for repeated roots. As for complex roots I can find the roots using quadratic formula but then not sure how to find the coefficients? Are there any simple methods out there that can used used for these types of equations?Any help would be appriciated?

Repeated roots
4/s(s+1)^2

4/s(s+1)^2=k1/s + k2/s+1 + k3/(s+1)^2

k1=4; k3=-4 (Using cover up method)

k2=??

Complex roots
2/s(s^2+s+1)

(s^2+s+1) = -1/2 +/- j sqrt(3/2)

CremeBrulee,

I do not know what exactly is meant by the cover-up method, but these two examples are very straightforward. You start very well, but than you seem to be lost. I will explain the first one, the second one you need to do yourself. (I wrote the first one down on a piece of paper in about 20 seconds... the typing is a way bit longer...)

OK, you have:

[tex]\frac{4}{s(s+1)^2}=\frac{A}{s}+\frac{B}{s+1}+\frac{C}{(s+1)^2}[/tex]

Or:

[tex]A(s+1)^2+Bs(s+1)+Cs=4[/tex]
[tex]As^2+2As+A+Bs^2+Bs+Cs=4[/tex]
[tex](A+B)s^2+(2A+B+C)s+A=4[/tex]

setting the LHS and the RHS equal to each other in the different s-terms we have already:

[tex]A=4[/tex]

[tex]A+B=0[/tex]

thus:

[tex]B=-4[/tex]

[tex]2A+B+C=0[/tex]

thus:

[tex]C=-4[/tex]

the equation becomes now:

[tex]\frac{4}{s(s+1)^2}=\frac{4}{s}+\frac{-4}{s+1}+\frac{-4}{(s+1)^2}[/tex]

Can you do the second one in the same manner? Do not try to find the roots of the quadratic that is not necessary. Write down the first step and in case you are not sure how to split it up, come back and ask.

coomast

As Coomast said, you can quickly arrive at
[tex]A(s+1)^2+Bs(s+1)+Cs=4[/tex]

You can simplify a lot by taking s= -1:
[tex]A(0)^2+ B(-1)(0)+ C(-1)= 4[/tex]
so that you get C= -4.

You can simplify a lot by taking s= 0:
[tex]A(0+1)^2+ B(0)(0+1)+ C(0)= 4[/tex]
so that you get A= 4.

Finally, just choose some third number: s= 1 will do.
[tex]A(1+1)^2+ B(1)(1+1)+ C(1)= 4[/tex]
[tex]4A+ 2B+ C= 4[/tex]

And, since A= 4 and C= -4,
[tex]16+ 2B- 4= 4[/tex]
so that
[tex]2B= -8[/tex]
and B= -2.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This process seems really straightforward but I'm still having trouble...grrr.

I do have a couple of questions:

How do I determine how to correctly split up the equation ie what s term goes next to each coefficient A, B , C, etc? I tried the second question but wasn't sure how to split it? What is the convention when splitting both repeated and complex roots?

The way I understood the explanation is that the s terms in brackets equal zero and the singular A equals 4.

[tex](A+B)s^2+(2A+B+C)s+A=4[/tex]

Then using the value found for A it can be plugged into the remaining coeffs in the s terms in brackets that equal zero to find remaining coefficients. Are the s terms in brackets always zero?

[tex]A+B=0[/tex] ; [tex]2A+B+C=0[/tex]

But what happens if there isn't a singular coefficient or say if there were two repeated roots and so two singular values? Does this process still work?

I also tried the method using Hallsof Ivy suggested (s=0, s=1, s=-1) but I found B=-8? However, I know the answer is A=4, B=-4 & C=-4 from my textbook, so we were both incorrect?

FAQ: Partial Fraction Expansion with repeated & complex roots

1. What is Partial Fraction Expansion with repeated and complex roots?

Partial Fraction Expansion is a mathematical process used to express a complex rational function as a sum of simpler fractions. When the denominator of the rational function has repeated or complex roots, the partial fraction expansion involves breaking the original fraction into smaller fractions with linear denominators.

2. Why is Partial Fraction Expansion with repeated and complex roots important?

Partial Fraction Expansion with repeated and complex roots is important because it allows us to simplify complex rational functions and make them easier to work with. It also helps in solving integrals and differential equations, which are important in various fields of science and engineering.

3. How do you perform Partial Fraction Expansion with repeated and complex roots?

The process of performing Partial Fraction Expansion with repeated and complex roots involves the following steps:1. Factorize the denominator of the rational function.2. Write the partial fraction expansion using the factors as the denominators of the smaller fractions.3. Assign undetermined coefficients to each fraction.4. Equate the coefficients of like terms on both sides of the equation.5. Solve for the undetermined coefficients.

4. Can Partial Fraction Expansion be applied to any rational function with repeated and complex roots?

Yes, Partial Fraction Expansion can be applied to any rational function with repeated and complex roots. However, the process may become more complex and involve more steps depending on the complexity of the roots and the degree of the rational function.

5. How is Partial Fraction Expansion with repeated and complex roots used in real-life applications?

Partial Fraction Expansion with repeated and complex roots is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis. It is also used in statistics and probability to simplify complex probability distributions. Additionally, it is used in solving differential equations, which are important in physics, chemistry, and other areas of science.

Back