Partial pressure of reagent in reaction

In summary, the conversation is about finding the partial pressure of AB4 at equilibrium in a reaction with an equilibrium constant of 10 at 298K. The two reagents, A and B, are mixed together at 1 bar and the quantities of 1 mol of A and 1 mol of B. The suggested approach is to use an ICE table to calculate the amounts of substances at equilibrium, taking into account the stoichiometry of the reaction. The expected result is 0.268 bar.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

I have the reaction:

A(g) + 2B2(g) -> AB4(g)

The equilibrium constant K(T=298) = 10, and all gases are ideal.

So the two reagents A and B are mixed together at 1 bar and T = 298K, with the quantities 1 mol of A and 1 mol of B.

Now I have to find the partial pressure of AB4 when there is equilibrium in the reaction.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked at Dalton's Law, but nothing I did seemed to make sense. So I'm kinda stuck.

I know the result should be: 0,268 bar.

So, could anyone give me a hint ?Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried ICE table approach?

This is not very difficult - you have to calculate amounts of substances at equilibrium. Write expression for K and think how concentrations of all substances change during the reaction - they are linked by stoichiometry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Partial pressure of reagent in reaction

1. What is the partial pressure of a reagent in a reaction?

The partial pressure of a reagent in a reaction refers to the contribution of that specific reagent to the total pressure of the reaction mixture. It is a measure of the concentration of that reagent in the gas phase of the reaction.

2. How is the partial pressure of a reagent calculated?

The partial pressure of a reagent can be calculated by multiplying the total pressure of the reaction by the mole fraction of that reagent in the gas phase. This can be represented by the equation P = nRT, where P is the partial pressure, n is the number of moles of the reagent, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

3. Why is the partial pressure of a reagent important in a reaction?

The partial pressure of a reagent is important because it affects the rate and direction of a reaction. As the partial pressure of a reagent increases, the reaction rate also increases, allowing for a faster completion of the reaction. Additionally, the partial pressure of a reagent can determine which direction a reversible reaction will proceed towards.

4. How does the partial pressure of a reagent change during a reaction?

The partial pressure of a reagent changes during a reaction as the reaction progresses and the concentration of the reagent decreases. This leads to a decrease in the partial pressure of the reagent until it reaches equilibrium with the other reactants and products in the reaction mixture.

5. How can the partial pressure of a reagent be controlled in a reaction?

The partial pressure of a reagent can be controlled by adjusting the amount of the reagent present in the reaction mixture. Changing the temperature or volume of the reaction vessel can also affect the partial pressure of a reagent. Additionally, using a catalyst can help to control the partial pressure by increasing the reaction rate and decreasing the amount of time the reagent is present in the reaction mixture.