Partial RL Circuit: Solving for Current in Inductor with Kirchhoff's Rules

In summary, the problem involves a partial circuit with a current pulse shown in Figure P32.25. The current starts at zero, becomes Imax = 7.0 A between t = 0 and t = 200 µs, and then returns to zero. The goal is to determine the current in the inductor as a function of time using Kirchhoff's rules. The resulting differential equation is L(dI/dt) = -IR, with a boundary condition of continuity with the earlier function. The correct answer for 0 ≤ t ≤ 200 µs is I(t) = 7(1 - e-100000t), but the current for t > 200 µs is still unknown.
Ithryndil

Homework Statement

A current pulse is fed to the partial circuit shown in Figure P32.25. The current begins at zero, then becomes Imax = 7.0 A between t = 0 and t = 200 µs, and then is zero once again. Determine the current in the inductor as a function of time. Let L = 1.0 mH and R = 100 . (Use t as appropriate.) Figure

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to use Kirchhoff's rules for this. I am not quite sure how to go about setting this up...I know I will have:

Emf - IR - L(dI/dt) = 0

Since there is no Emf this becomes:
L(dI/dt) = - IR

I am not sure where to go from here. I have the correct answer for [tex]0\leq[/tex] [tex]t[/tex] [tex]\leq200\mu s[/tex] being:

[tex]I(t) = 7(1 - e^{-100000t}) [/tex]

I also am not sure how to proceed with finding the current for t > 200 microseconds.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that Iresistor must be:

Iresistor (I2) = Iinitial(I1) - Iinductor(I3).

However, whenever I use that I can't ever seem to get the actually statement they are getting for Iinductor. I get this DE:

L(dI3/dt) = -I2*R.

When I solve that I get:

I3 = I1 + e^(-Rt/L)

That expression doesn't seem right, and is not right.

Ithryndil said:
Since there is no Emf this becomes:
L(dI/dt) = - IR

This is the DE you need. The boundary condition is just continuity with the earlier function you found.

I am not sure I follow what you mean about the earlier function. Are you talking about Kirchhoffs rule with the Emf in it?

Related to Partial RL Circuit: Solving for Current in Inductor with Kirchhoff's Rules

1. What is a partial RL circuit?

A partial RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both resistance (R) and inductance (L) elements. It is called "partial" because the inductance is not fully connected in the circuit, but rather connected through a switch or other component.

2. How does a partial RL circuit differ from a regular RL circuit?

In a regular RL circuit, the inductance is fully connected in the circuit and there is a continuous flow of current. However, in a partial RL circuit, the inductance is not always connected, so there may be interruptions or changes in the current flow.

3. What is the purpose of a partial RL circuit?

A partial RL circuit is often used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and create specific effects or functions. It can also be used to protect other components in the circuit from excessive current or voltage.

4. How do I calculate the impedance of a partial RL circuit?

The impedance of a partial RL circuit can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance. This formula takes into account the effects of both the resistance and inductance in the circuit.

5. How can I optimize a partial RL circuit for my specific application?

The best way to optimize a partial RL circuit for a specific application is to adjust the values of the resistance and inductance components to achieve the desired effect. This may require some experimentation and testing to find the most efficient and effective combination of these elements.