Partial trace of a density matrix?

In summary, the individual is working on a modified version of the Jayne's Cummings model and is currently confused about the mathematical process needed to obtain the time evolution of atomic inversion, mean photon number, and the phase space picture from the Wigner function. They propose using a trace operation to obtain the atomic inversion, and it is confirmed that this approach is correct but should be performed on the density matrix of the atom rather than the field. For the mean photon number and phase space picture, different operators must be used in the trace operation.
climbon
Hi,

I'm working on a modified version of the Jayne's Cummings model and am a little confussed.

I have:
-Taken modified version of JCM Hamiltonian in Schrodinger picture.
-Used Von Neumann equation to get evolution of density matrix
-Converted to Wigner function.

I want to run numerical simulations to get time evolution of atomic inversion, mean photon number and the Phase space picture but am confused of what mathematical process I need to do in order to get these values out of my Wigner function (2x2 matrix).

I know I will need to do a partial trace, so far I'm thinking (to obtain evolution of the atomic inversion);

[tex]
P(t)=Tr_{atom}(M \cdot \rho^{Atom}(t) )
\\
\\
Where \\
\rho^{Atom}(t) = Tr_{Field}(\rho (t)) \ and \ M = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \end{array} \right)
\\
[/tex]

Can this be written;

[tex]
Tr_{Atom}((\rho \cdot I)\otimes M)
[/tex]
Which is;
[tex]
Tr_{Atom} \left( \left( \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
W_{11} & W_{12} \\
W_{21} & W_{22} \end{array} \right) \cdot \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 1 \end{array} \right) \right) \otimes \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \end{array} \right) \right)
[/tex]

Where [itex]W_{nm}[/itex] are the matrix elements of the Wigner function.

Doesn't this trace come out simply to be [itex]W_{11} + W_{22}[/itex]?

Does this mean that by running numerical simulations and adding [itex]W_{11} + W_{22}[/itex] I will get the atomic inversion of the atom?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your progress on your modified version of the Jayne's Cummings model. It sounds like you have made good progress so far. To answer your question, yes, your proposed method for obtaining the atomic inversion using the Wigner function is correct. The trace operation you have described will indeed give you the atomic inversion of the system, which is the expectation value of the Pauli operator I (also known as the identity operator). This is because the trace operation essentially sums up the diagonal elements of the matrix, which in this case correspond to the expectation values of the Pauli operators.

However, I would like to point out that in order to get the atomic inversion, you will need to perform the trace operation on the density matrix of the atom, not the field. This is because the atomic inversion is a property of the atom, not the field. So your equation should be P(t)=Tr_{atom}((\rho^{Atom} \cdot I)\otimes M).

As for obtaining the mean photon number and the phase space picture, you will need to perform a similar trace operation, but on different operators. For the mean photon number, you will need to use the number operator (a^{\dagger}a), and for the phase space picture, you will need to use the position and momentum operators (x and p). The trace operation in these cases will give you the expectation values of these operators, which will correspond to the mean photon number and the phase space picture, respectively.

Overall, your approach is correct and you can use numerical simulations to obtain these values by adding up the diagonal elements of the Wigner function. I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Good luck with your simulations!

Related to Partial trace of a density matrix?

1. What is the partial trace of a density matrix?

The partial trace of a density matrix is a mathematical operation used to calculate the reduced density matrix of a subsystem within a larger quantum system. It involves tracing out or summing over the degrees of freedom of the other subsystems.

2. Why is the partial trace important in quantum mechanics?

The partial trace is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to study the behavior of a subsystem without considering the entire system. This is especially useful in cases where the full system is complex and difficult to analyze, but the subsystem of interest is simpler.

3. How is the partial trace calculated?

The partial trace is calculated by summing over the degrees of freedom of the subsystem of interest while keeping the other subsystems fixed. This involves multiplying the density matrix of the full system by a projection operator that isolates the subsystem, and then taking the trace of the resulting matrix.

4. What does the partial trace tell us about a quantum system?

The partial trace provides information about the behavior of a subsystem within a larger quantum system. It can tell us about the entanglement between subsystems, the correlations between different parts of the system, and the probability of obtaining certain measurement outcomes.

5. Can the partial trace be used in classical systems?

No, the partial trace is a concept that is specific to quantum mechanics and cannot be applied in classical systems. In classical systems, the state of the entire system is determined by the states of its individual components, whereas in quantum systems, the state of the whole system is not always determined by the states of its subsystems.