Partial Wave Analysis for High Energy Physics Experiments

In summary, the partial wave analysis (PWA) is a commonly used method in high energy physics experiments to extract information about resonances from detector data by decomposing the data into single partial waves with intensities and quantum numbers. The fit of 42 partial waves means that the expansion was truncated at 42 terms for a good approximate solution. The fitting process involves using a potential model to calculate phase shifts and fitting parameters to achieve agreement with the measured cross-section. Mass-dependent and mass-independent fits may refer to using a poorly known particle mass as a fitted parameter or using the current value. PWA can help detect resonances that may be hard to see in the invariant mass spectrum due to overlapping resonances or high non-resonant contributions.
Ps9
Hi,

at first i want to apologize for my bad english.

I have to give a speech on some result of a high energy physics experiment and need some basic information about the concept of partial wave analysis (PWA) from the experimenter's point of view. My problem is that quantum mechanics textbooks are too theoretical - they explain the partial wave decomposition but not how to get get information about resonances practically. In contrast, papers are way too complicated to learn from them.

I'd like to learn about the process:
IN: detector data of final states
OUT: single partial waves with intensities and quantum numbers -> hidden resonance

a) It is said "42 partial waves are include in in the fit". Does this mean the existence of those certain waves was somehow extracted from the data ore were they assumed?

b) How does the fitting work in general? I could imagine one takes an expression for the total cross section and fits all waves at once so that the theoretical total cross section best fits the experimental one. Then i can examine single waves. Is this rudimental correct?

c) At first a mass-independend max-likelihood-fit is used and after that a mass-dependet chi-squared fit. What does mass-(in)dependend mean and what is the difference between both methods? Why are they done in this order?

d) Why does a certain resonance (that can be discovered by PWA) can not simply be seen in the invariant mass spectrum of the final state?

Thank you very much!

ps.: You may help me by highlighting my linguistic mistakes too ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ps9 said:
Hi,

at first i want to apologize for my bad english.

I have to give a speech on some result of a high energy physics experiment and need some basic information about the concept of partial wave analysis (PWA) from the experimenter's point of view. My problem is that quantum mechanics textbooks are too theoretical - they explain the partial wave decomposition but not how to get get information about resonances practically. In contrast, papers are way too complicated to learn from them.

I'd like to learn about the process:
IN: detector data of final states
OUT: single partial waves with intensities and quantum numbers -> hidden resonance

a) It is said "42 partial waves are include in in the fit". Does this mean the existence of those certain waves was somehow extracted from the data ore were they assumed?

b) How does the fitting work in general? I could imagine one takes an expression for the total cross section and fits all waves at once so that the theoretical total cross section best fits the experimental one. Then i can examine single waves. Is this rudimental correct?

c) At first a mass-independend max-likelihood-fit is used and after that a mass-dependet chi-squared fit. What does mass-(in)dependend mean and what is the difference between both methods? Why are they done in this order?

d) Why does a certain resonance (that can be discovered by PWA) can not simply be seen in the invariant mass spectrum of the final state?

Thank you very much!

ps.: You may help me by highlighting my linguistic mistakes too ;)

a) The partial wave analysis expansion is one of the commonly used orthogonal expansions in physics. This means that any function can be decomposed into infinity partial waves. If a fit includes 42 partial waves that means they truncated the expansion at 42 terms, which will supposedly give a really good approximate solution. The different partial waves correspond to different angular momenta(l) physically.

b) The measured quantity is usually a differential cross-section of some scattering reaction. But, the differential cross-section does not depend on the phase shifts in a nice way, meaning that a differential cross-section does not give you the phase shifts right away. What I believe usually happens in nuclear physics when doing such fits is that a potential model is developed for the fit. A potential form is assumed for the scattering which has quite a few free parameters, but satisfies properties we know about the system(for example we know that the Nucleon-Nucleon potential at large distances looks like a Yukawa potential). The potential model is than used to calculate the phase shift and from the phase shifts one gets the differential cross-section. Then the parameters of the potential model are changed until one achieves agreement with the measured cross-section. And the phase shifts will be what they calculated than. I imagine particle physics is similar.

c) Without knowing the problem itself, I don't know what mass dependent and mass independent fit means. Maybe the reaction involves a particle with poorly known mass, and they either use that as a fitted parameter too or use the current value? Or it may be something different...

d) A reason for resonances being hard to detect can be the existence of lots of overlapping resonances, which are superposed on the spectrum. An other can be a high non-resonant contribution and a small resonance peak. PWA helps because it is a selection, since a single phase shift only includes one l, and it is quite straightforward to see resonances in phase shifts, as it approximately manifests as a sudden rise in the phase shift from 0 to pi, so the appropriate phase shift looks somewhat similar to a Heaviside function.

Hope I cleared some things up...

Thank you evilcman, that helped a lot.

Related to Partial Wave Analysis for High Energy Physics Experiments

1. What is partial wave analysis?

Partial wave analysis is a technique used in high energy physics experiments to study the behavior of particles and their interactions. It involves decomposing the scattering amplitudes of particles into different "partial wave" components, which can provide information about the quantum numbers and properties of the particles involved.

2. Why is partial wave analysis important in high energy physics experiments?

Partial wave analysis is important because it allows us to study the internal structure and dynamics of particles at high energies. By analyzing the partial waves of particle interactions, we can gain insights into the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe.

3. How is partial wave analysis performed in high energy physics experiments?

Partial wave analysis is typically performed using advanced mathematical techniques, such as the helicity formalism or the isobar model. These methods involve analyzing the angular distributions and polarizations of particles produced in collisions, and comparing them to theoretical predictions.

4. What kinds of particles can be studied using partial wave analysis?

Partial wave analysis can be used to study a wide range of particles, including mesons, baryons, and exotic particles such as tetraquarks and pentaquarks. It is particularly useful for studying resonances and other short-lived particles that are difficult to observe directly.

5. What are some potential applications of partial wave analysis in high energy physics?

Partial wave analysis has many potential applications in high energy physics, including precision measurements of particle masses, widths, and other properties, as well as searches for new particles and phenomena. It is also used to improve our understanding of the strong and weak nuclear forces, and to test the predictions of the Standard Model of particle physics.