Particle Accelerator Safety: Debunking the Myth of Danger | WriterMon

• Thread starter WriterMon
  • Start date
In summary: An electron beam, for example, can cause beta radiation, which is a type of radiation that can damage your body's cells. If you're close to a proton beam, you could also get radiation poisoning. And if you're close to a bremstralung radiation beam, which is a type of radiation that's generated when the particles hit the atmosphere, you could die.
WriterMon
Hello,

I'm curious, for a novella I'm writing, whether standing in front of an electron or other particle beam in a particle accelerator would be dangerous for a person. I would think not, because I'd presume the particles would just go through us as they're always doing. But maybe in such concentrated form, they are, like a laser, dangerous?

Thanks,

WriterMon

Physics news on Phys.org
WriterMon said:
Hello,

I'm curious, for a novella I'm writing, whether standing in front of an electron or other particle beam in a particle accelerator would be dangerous for a person. I would think not, because I'd presume the particles would just go through us as they're always doing. But maybe in such concentrated form, they are, like a laser, dangerous?

Thanks,

WriterMon

If you're talking about a typical 10 MeV or greater particle accelerator, then yes, it will eventually kill you.

Remember what "beta radiation" is. It is high energy electrons. While its ionization factor is smaller than alpha, it is still dangerous enough to damage your body molecules. Proton beams would be even more dangerous.

And we still haven't talked about the bremstralung radiation yet that could even be as lethal. This is why all accelerator facilities are enclosed in radiation shielding.

Zz.

For comparison, a TV set electron gun is about 20KeV, isn't it?

Ah, many thanks, very helpful. But when you say "eventually," what time frame are we talking? Minutes? An hour?

tx,
WM

I'll tell you what I was told when I was working at the Tevatron (Fermilab), which is a proton-antiproton collider - the largest such collider until the LHC at CERN turns on next year. I asked if anyone ever worked in the beam tunnel (not even stand in the beam, just stand next to it) when the beam is turned on, and the guy giving me the tour just started laughing at me. He said that he would give such a person no more than one hour before he died, and it would be the most painful hour he ever experienced!

I know this is not very precise, but that gives you an idea.

precise enough, thanks!
E

FAQ: Particle Accelerator Safety: Debunking the Myth of Danger | WriterMon

What is the meaning of "Odd question: danger?"

"Odd question: danger?" is a phrase that is often used to express surprise or confusion about a particular situation or topic, usually one that involves potential danger or risk.

Is "Odd question: danger?" a common phrase?

Yes, "Odd question: danger?" is a common phrase that is used in conversation and in written communication. It is often used in a lighthearted or sarcastic manner.

Why do people use the phrase "Odd question: danger?"

People use the phrase "Odd question: danger?" to express their surprise or confusion about a situation or topic. It is often used when someone asks a question that seems unusual or unexpected.

Can "Odd question: danger?" be used in a serious context?

Yes, "Odd question: danger?" can be used in a serious context, such as when discussing potential risks or dangers in a particular situation. However, it is more commonly used in a casual or humorous way.

Is there a deeper meaning behind "Odd question: danger?"

No, "Odd question: danger?" is simply a phrase that is used to express surprise or confusion in a particular situation. It does not have any deeper or hidden meaning.