Particle at Rest: Find Times t> 0 for x & y Direction, Acceleration

In summary, the position of a particle is (r(t), v(t)) where r and v are vectors. Velocity is specified by the vector vx and vy and acceleration is specified by the vector vy. If the particle is at rest, v(t) = 0. If the particle is accelerating in the x-direction, v(t) = vx and if the particle is accelerating in the y-direction, v(t) = vy.
negation

Homework Statement

A particle's position is r =(ct^2−2dt^3) i hat+(2ct^2−dt^3)j hat. where c and d are positive constants.
part a) Find expressions for times t > 0 when the particle is moving in the x-direction.
part b) Find expressions for times t > 0 when the particle is moving in the y-direction.

Is there any time,t >0 when the particle is c) at rest and d) accelerating in the x-direction?
If either answer us "yes", find the time(s).

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

r''(t)→ = d^2/dt^2 [ ct^2 -2dt^3] i
a(t)→ = 2c - 12dt
t = (2c - a)/12d

b)

r"(t)→d^2/dt^2[ 2ct^2 - dt^3] j
a(t)→ = (4c -6dt)j
t = (4c - a)/6d

c)

If particle is at rest, then velocity = 0

v→ = r'(t)→ = (2ct - 6dt^2) i + (4ct - 3dt^2) j
0 = (2ct - 6dt^2) i + (4ct - 3dt^2) j

how do I proceed from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a) and (b), what does "moving in x or y direction" mean?

For (c), find t such that the equation is satisfied.

voko said:
For (a) and (b), what does "moving in x or y direction" mean?

For (c), find t such that the equation is satisfied.

I suppose it means (x,0) and (0,y). Word for word from the book.
Part (a) and (b) is correct. How should I attempt part(c)?
I set dr/dt to be zero but I can't reduce the expression.

How do you know that (a) and (b) are correct? I have a very different interpretation of those parts.

For (c), you have a vector equation. That means you have equations for each component. Find a common solution for the component equations, if it exists.

voko said:
How do you know that (a) and (b) are correct? I have a very different interpretation of those parts.
It seems to make sense, although, I would rule out my answer being a probable falsity.
Let's begin from part(a) then.

Last edited:
When you hear "something is moving in some direction", is this a statement about the position of something, or its velocity, or its acceleration?

voko said:
When you hear "something is moving in some direction", is this a statement about the position of something, or its velocity, or its acceleration?

Position. But this change in position could further imply the velocity is changing, and, therefore, a change in the acceleration too.

negation said:
Position. But this change in position could further imply the velocity is changing, and, therefore, a change in the acceleration too.

So if you are at x = 5 m and y = 6 m, which direction are you moving?

voko said:
So if you are at x = 5 m and y = 6 m, which direction are you moving?

50° from the origin-origin being (0,0)

Edit: It cannot be ascertain.

Even if you are standing still at that position?

voko said:
Even if you are standing still at that position?

I edited the post you responded to.
It cannot be ascertain unless the change in position is made relative to another position, otherwise, the question becomes meaningless. Is that what you were trying to expound?

negation said:
I edited the post you responded to.
It cannot be ascertain unless the change in position is made relative to another position, otherwise, the question becomes meaningless. Is that what you were trying to expound?

Yes. And how do you characterize "change in position"?

voko said:
Yes. And how do you characterize "change in position"?

Δs = vit + 0.5at^2

That is valid only for uniformly accelerated motion. Imagine ##\Delta t## is very very small. How can you approximate ##\Delta s##?

voko said:
That is valid only for uniformly accelerated motion. Imagine ##\Delta t## is very very small. How can you approximate ##\Delta s##?

change in position/ change in time = velocity.

v(t) . Δt = Δs = sf - si

or in other words; the derivative of position x change in time

voko said:

For (c), you have a vector equation. That means you have equations for each component. Find a common solution for the component equations, if it exists.

Here's another go:

a)

If we are concern only with the velocity of the particle along the x-axis, then, this implies that the velocity along the y-axis is hypothetically = 0ms^-1

v = (vx=0,vy)
vy = 0ms^-1
vy = (dr/dt)y = 0ms^-1
ry→ = (2ct^2 -dt^3)j
dr/dt = 4ct - 3dt^2
4ct - 3dt^2 = 0
4c = 3dt
t = 4c/3d

b)

v = (vx,vy=0)
vx = 0ms^-1
vx = (dr/dt)x = 0ms^-1
rx→ = (ct^2 -2dt^3)i
(dr/dt)x = (2ct -6dt^2)i
2ct = 6dt^2
2c = 6dt
t = 2c/6d =c/3d

c)

if the particle is at rest, that implies that v = (vx = 0, vy = 0)

at t = 4c/3d, vy = 0
at t = c/3d, vx = 0

there is no time at which tx = ty, so, the particle is never at rest.

d)

particle accelerating only in the x-axis implies it's acceleration along the y-axis = 0

py'(t)→ = 4ct - 3dt^2
py"(t)→ = a(t)→ = 4c - 6dt

4c = 6dt
t = 2c/3d

Last edited:
Your method and results look good to me.

Likes 1 person

Related to Particle at Rest: Find Times t> 0 for x & y Direction, Acceleration

1. What is a "particle at rest"?

A particle at rest refers to a situation in which an object is not moving. This means that its position remains constant over time.

2. How do you find the time t>0 for the x and y directions of a particle at rest?

To find the time t>0 for the x and y directions of a particle at rest, you can use the formula t = v/a, where t is time, v is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. Since the particle is at rest, the initial velocity is 0, and therefore the time t>0 can be found by dividing the initial velocity (0) by the acceleration.

3. What does acceleration mean in the context of a particle at rest?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. In the context of a particle at rest, acceleration is 0, meaning that the object's velocity remains constant and there is no change in its position over time.

4. Is it possible for a particle at rest to have a non-zero acceleration?

No, it is not possible for a particle at rest to have a non-zero acceleration. This is because acceleration is defined as the change in velocity over time, and since the particle is not moving, there is no change in its velocity.

5. Can you find the time t for a particle at rest in any direction?

Yes, you can find the time t for a particle at rest in any direction. The formula t = v/a can be applied to both the x and y directions, as well as any other direction in which the particle is at rest. However, since the particle is not moving, the time t will always be 0.