Particle confined to move on the surface of sphere

In summary: You should check to see if the position coordinates are correct, and also to see if the answer goes with the spherical pendulum.
kimpossible

Homework Statement

what will be Lagrange,s equation of motion for a particle confined to move on surface of sphere whose radius is expanding such that

Homework Equations

Euler-lagranges equation of motion
d/dt(∂L/∂{dq/dt})-∂L/∂q=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Z=(R+R0e^at)cosθ
X=(R+R0e^at)sinθcosΦ
Y=(R+R0e^at)sinθsinΦ
Lagrangian L=T-U
T=1/2(mv^2)=1/2m{(dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2+(dz/dt)^2}
and
U=mgz
I just want to know whether I'm going on right track or not? and are the position coordinates right? Is the answer goes with the spherical pendulum?

Attachments

• hamiltonian.jpg
    hamiltonian.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 643
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kim, :welcome:

I see nothing wrong with your approach. I take it you choose ##\theta## and ##\phi## as generalized coordinates.
For ##R_0 = 0## you have the spherical pendulum case, so it's good to check with those expressions.

kimpossible said:

Homework Statement

what will be Lagrange,s equation of motion for a particle confined to move on surface of sphere whose radius is expanding such that

Homework Equations

Euler-lagranges equation of motion
d/dt(∂L/∂{dq/dt})-∂L/∂q=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Z=(R+R0e^at)cosθ
X=(R+R0e^at)sinθcosΦ
Y=(R+R0e^at)sinθsinΦ
Lagrangian L=T-U
T=1/2(mv^2)=1/2m{(dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2+(dz/dt)^2}
and
U=mgz
I just want to know whether I'm going on right track or not? and are the position coordinates right? Is the answer goes with the spherical pendulum?

Are your "generalized coordinates" ##q## just ##\theta## and ##\phi##? If so, you need to express the Lagrangian in terms of them, so you need to figure out ##v^2## and ##U## in terms of ##\theta, \phi, \dot{\theta}, \dot{\phi}##.

Ray Vickson said:
Are your "generalized coordinates" ##q## just ##\theta## and ##\phi##? If so, you need to express the Lagrangian in terms of them, so you need to figure out ##v^2## and ##U## in terms of ##\theta, \phi, \dot{\theta}, \dot{\phi}##.
yeah i expressed v and U in terms of generalized coordinates, but I'm not sure if Φ varies (i mean equation of motion for Φ)

and let me correct the problem-particle confined to move on the surface of sphere whose radius is expanding such a that R(t)=R+R0e^at

kimpossible said:
yeah i expressed v and U in terms of generalized coordinates, but I'm not sure if Φ varies (i mean equation of motion for Φ)

In general there is no a priori reason to assume anything about ##\phi##. There are two Lagrange differential equations, one for ##\theta## and one for ##\phi##. Write them down and see what they tell you.

Ray Vickson said:
In general there is no a priori reason to assume anything about ##\phi##. There are two Lagrange differential equations, one for ##\theta## and one for ##\phi##. Write them down and see what they tell you.
thanks for your view but are my x,y,z coordinates are correct if radius R is expanding such a that R(t)=R0e^at where t is time and a,R0 are constants? Was my approach correct as i described in- The attempt at a solution

kimpossible said:
thanks for your view but are my x,y,z coordinates are correct if radius R is expanding such a that R(t)=R0e^at where t is time and a,R0 are constants? Was my approach correct as i described in- The attempt at a solution

It looks like the very beginning of a possibly correct approach, but is far from finished.

Related to Particle confined to move on the surface of sphere

1. What is a particle confined to move on the surface of a sphere?

A particle confined to move on the surface of a sphere is a theoretical concept in physics where a particle is restricted to move only on the surface of a sphere, rather than in three-dimensional space.

2. What is the significance of studying particles confined to move on the surface of a sphere?

This concept has practical applications in areas such as geology, astronomy, and chemistry, as well as theoretical applications in understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces.

3. How is the motion of a particle on a sphere different from that in three-dimensional space?

The motion of a particle on a sphere is constrained to the surface of the sphere, meaning that it can only move along curved paths rather than straight lines. Additionally, the distance between two points on the surface of a sphere is measured along the surface rather than in a straight line, leading to different calculations of speed and distance.

4. What factors affect the motion of a particle confined to move on the surface of a sphere?

The motion of a particle on a sphere is affected by the radius of the sphere, the initial position and velocity of the particle, and any external forces acting on the particle.

5. How is the behavior of a particle on a sphere related to other physical concepts?

The motion of a particle on a sphere is related to concepts such as circular motion, centripetal force, and angular momentum. It also has connections to the study of rotational motion and orbits in astronomy.