Particle energy and the Lagrangian -- help understanding it please

In summary, classical mechanics is a mathematical formalism that can be described in terms of the Hamilton function, which is a function of the ##q^j## and the ##p_j##. The equations of motion are derived using an extended variational principle, and the Hamilton formulation is very close to quantum theory.
Andrea Vironda
Hi,
here i see that the energy of a single particle is calculated by deriving the lagrangian to the speed. I obtain something similar to a linear momentum.
and then i see that the total energy is this momentum multiplied by speed and then subtracting lagrangian.
could you explain to me these things?

Attachments

• Cattura.PNG
    Cattura.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 449
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, not the energy, but the momentum. That's the very definition of momentum in terms of a lagrangian.

Given a Lagrangian ##L=L(q^j,\dot{q}^j)## by definition the canonical momenta are defined as
$$p_j=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^j}.$$
The equations of motion follow from the stationarity of the action (Hamilton's principle)
$$S[q]=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t L(q^j,\dot{q}^j)$$
under variations of the ##q^j##, with the boundary values fixed, i.e., ##\delta q^j(t_1)=\delta q^j(t_2)##, leading to the Euler-Lagrange equations,
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial q^j} - \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^j}=0.$$
Now if ##L## is not explicitly time dependent, it's easy to show that
$$E=p_j \dot{q}^j-L=\text{const}$$
along any solution of the Euler-Lagrange equations (just try to prove it yourself, by showing ##\dot{E}=0##).

Here, however, the story nearly only begins! The most beautiful way to express classical mechanics (and a lot more physics, including field theories by appropriately generlizing Hamilton's principles to that case) is in terms of the Hamilton formulation, i.e., you define the Hamilton function, which is by definition a function of the ##q^j## and the ##p_j## by
$$H(q^j,p_j)=\dot{q}^j p_j - L.$$
The point is that you have to substitute for the ##\dot{q}^j## the corresponding expressions in terms of ##p_j## and ##q^j##.

Then you can show that you get the equations of motion by an extended variational principle, i.e., using the action
$$A[q^j,p_j]=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t [p_j \dot{q}^j-H],$$
and making it stationary under variations of the ##q^j## with fixed boundary values (as in the Lagrangian version of the Hamilton principle) and of the ##p_j## without constraints. Then you get the equations of motion in terms of the Hamilton canonical equations:
$$\dot{p}_j=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q^j}, \quad \dot{q}^j=\frac{\partial H}{\partial p_j},$$
and these are equivalent to the Euler-Lagrange equations from the Lagrangian form of the Hamilton principle.

The great advantage of the Hamilton formulation is that you can introduce Poisson brackets, leading to a reach mathematical toolbox, involving Lie algebras (and Lie groups) to formulate symmetries in the most elegant way. Last but not least it's a way to formulate classical mechanics that is very close to quantum theory, and you can use it as a heuristic tool to formulate quantum theory ("canonical quantization").

FAQ: Particle energy and the Lagrangian -- help understanding it please

1. What is particle energy?

Particle energy refers to the amount of energy possessed by a single particle, such as an electron or proton, in a system.

2. What is the Lagrangian in relation to particle energy?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the energy of a particle or system of particles in terms of their positions, velocities, and interactions with each other and their environment. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of particles and their energies.

3. How does the Lagrangian help in understanding particle energy?

The Lagrangian provides a way to analyze and calculate the energy of particles and their interactions in a system. It allows for a more intuitive and comprehensive understanding of how particles behave and how their energies change over time.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy in particle systems?

Kinetic energy refers to the energy of motion, while potential energy refers to the energy stored in a particle's position or interactions with other particles. The Lagrangian takes into account both types of energy in its calculations.

5. How is the Lagrangian used in practical applications?

The Lagrangian is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy, to study and predict the behavior of particles and systems. It is also a fundamental concept in the field of quantum mechanics, helping to explain the behavior of subatomic particles.