Particle Equations: Electron Probability & Radial Distance

• Thread starter Karmic Leprec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the wave function tells you the probability of an electron being at a particular point in space. The absolute square of the wave function gives you the probability that the electron is at that point. The radial extent over which the proton wavefunction is significantly different from zero is approximately 2000 times smaller than the radial extent of the electron wavefunction.
Karmic Leprec
Is there an equation for the numerical probability of an electron being present as a function of it's radial distance from the nucleus of an atom?
Or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's what the wave function tells you. The absolute square of the wave function tells you the probability that the electron is at a given point in space. If you just want the radial distance, you can just look at the radial part of the wave function. For a hydrogen atom in the lowest energy state (ground state), the wave function falls off as exp(-r/a0), where a0 is the Bohr radius, which is about 0.5 Angstrom units of .05 nm. The probability drops off as the square of this, or exp(-2r/a0).

For higher energy levels the wave function is more complicated, but you can look it up here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_atom

When calculating the probability of being at a particular distance r from the nucleus, there is an extra factor of [itex]r^{2}[/itex] due to the surface area of a sphere.

I don't understand how the wave function works. But I'll figure that out in my own time.
However, I could use help on this follow up question:
I'm assuming, since protons are generally located closer to the center of an atom, that protons' probability density become much higher, in comparison to an electron, the closer you look to the center of an atom. Is this correct?

That's basically correct. The radial extent over which the proton wavefunction is significantly different from zero is approximately 2000 times smaller than the radial extent of the electron wavefunction.

And the radial extent over which the proton wavefunction is significantly different from zero; that distance is about the size of the nucleus of the atom, right?

Correct. That distance is about 1 fm = 10^-15 m.

thank you

Related to Particle Equations: Electron Probability & Radial Distance

What is a particle equation?

A particle equation is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior and properties of a particle, such as an electron. It is used to calculate various physical quantities, such as the probability of finding the particle in a certain location or its energy.

What is electron probability?

Electron probability is the likelihood of finding an electron at a specific location around an atom's nucleus. It is represented by a probability distribution, which shows the relative probability of finding the electron at different distances from the nucleus.

How is electron probability related to particle equations?

Electron probability is a key component of particle equations, particularly in quantum mechanics. The Schrödinger equation, one of the fundamental equations in quantum mechanics, uses electron probability to describe the behavior of a particle.

What is radial distance in particle equations?

Radial distance is the distance between the nucleus of an atom and a specific point in space where the electron may be located. It is used in particle equations to calculate the electron probability at different distances from the nucleus.

How do particle equations explain the behavior of electrons?

Particle equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, use mathematical principles to predict the behavior and properties of particles, including electrons. These equations take into account factors such as electron probability and energy to describe the movement and interactions of electrons within atoms.