Particle is located a distance x meters

• Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the problem involves calculating the work done in moving a particle from x = 1 to x = 2 using the force function cos(PIx/3). The work done is equal to the area above the graph minus the area below the graph, which is represented by the integral from x = 1 to x = 2 of the force function. The interpretation of this answer is that work is being done from x = 1 to x = 1.5 and from x = 1.5 to x = 2, similar to pushing an object up a hill and then allowing it to roll down the other side. Negative work should not be considered as positive, but rather subtracted from the total work.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

When a particle is located a distance x meters from the origin, a force of cos(PIx/3) Newtons acts on it. How much work is done in moving the particle from x = 1 to x =2? Interpret your answer by considering the work done from x =1 to x = 1.5 and from x = 1.5 to x = 2

Homework Equations

So the integral isn't a problem.
If you graph this function I'm sure you know the sign change where cos(pix/3) dips below the x-axis at 1.5. I'm just wondering if I should give my answer as the sum of the neg work and positive work. If the work is negative doesn't it mean it is on the opposite direction? But I still say oh this has done. Neg + pos work

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since they are talking about "work" I think they expect a more "physical" explanation. Here, you are doing work from x= 1 to x= 3/2 but then works is being done from x= 3/2 to 2. It's like doing work to push an object to the top of a hill, then getting work out by allowing the object to run down the other side.

Ah so rolling a rock up a hill and letting it roll the other side? Do I consider the negative work as postive so I add the area above the graph and the area below for total work?

No, you do NOT "consider the negative work as positive". The total work done is the "area above the graph minus the area below the graph"- in other words precisely [itex]\int_1^2 f(x)dx[/itex]

Yeah so you do no work then with this problem. The integrals are equal above and below

FAQ: Particle is located a distance x meters

1. What is the significance of knowing the distance of a particle in meters?

The distance of a particle in meters is an important measurement in understanding its position and movement in space. It allows scientists to track the particle's trajectory and predict future behavior.

2. How is the distance of a particle in meters measured?

The distance of a particle in meters is typically measured using advanced scientific instruments such as lasers, microscopes, or particle detectors. These instruments use precise measurement techniques to determine the exact location of the particle.

3. Can the distance of a particle in meters change over time?

Yes, the distance of a particle in meters can change over time. This is because particles are constantly in motion and their position can change due to various factors such as external forces or interactions with other particles.

4. Is the distance of a particle in meters always constant?

No, the distance of a particle in meters is not always constant. In some cases, the particle may be moving at a constant speed, so its distance will change at a constant rate. However, in other cases, the particle's distance may change at a variable rate depending on its speed and direction of motion.

5. How does knowing the distance of a particle in meters contribute to scientific research?

Knowing the distance of a particle in meters is crucial for many areas of scientific research, such as particle physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It helps scientists understand the behavior and properties of particles, which can lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

Back