Particle Momentum Conservation in a Two-Particle System

In summary, two particles of mass m are connected by a light inextensible string of length 2l on a smooth horizontal table, with one particle at point A and the other at point B, l distance away. The particle at A is projected with velocity u. The speed at which the second particle begins to move is u/2, but the given answer also includes a momentum value of mu/2. This may be due to a mistake in the textbook.
frozen7
6. Two particles, each of mass m, are connected by a light inextensible string of length 2l. Initially they lie on a smooth horizontal table at points A and B distant l apart. The particle at A is projected across the table with velocity u. Find the speed with which the second particle begins to move if the directions of u is.
(a) along AB,

mu = (m+m)v
v = u/2

But the given answer is u/2 and mu/2. Can anyone explain to me why there are 2 answers? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
frozen7 said:
But the given answer is u/2 and mu/2.
Only the first answer is a speed; the other is a momentum.

I can't see the answer of [itex]\frac{1}{2}mu[/itex] being correct, because that would leave the velocity having units of [itex]m\cdot kg \cdot s^{-1}[/itex], which doesn't happen.

Thanks..I am so stupid...

It really is bad practise by a book to ask for a velocity then give an answer in momentum. I've just had some problems with a textbook myself ...:mad:

FAQ: Particle Momentum Conservation in a Two-Particle System

1. What is particle momentum?

Particle momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the measure of a particle's motion. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the particle's mass and velocity.

2. How is particle momentum calculated?

Particle momentum can be calculated by multiplying the particle's mass by its velocity. This can be expressed as the formula p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. Is particle momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external forces acting on it. This means that in a closed system, particle momentum is conserved.

4. How does particle momentum relate to collisions?

In a collision between two particles, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the conservation of momentum and is often used to analyze collisions in physics.

5. How is particle momentum used in real-world applications?

Particle momentum is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in rocket propulsion, car crashes, and sports. It is also a key concept in particle physics and is used to study the behavior of subatomic particles.

Back