Particle Movement w/o Knowing a or v

In summary, the object is dropped from a cliff of unknown height. It takes 4.15s to reach the bottom, and from the top of the cliff, it is tossed upwards to a height of 2m. It then falls back to the cliff bottom in 6.3s. To solve for the height of the cliff using the standard x=x+vt+1/2at^2 and yeilded -8.6115s^2(a), the equation must be rewritten as x=\frac{1}{2}at^2_{1}+v+u\, where t1=4.15s, t2=6.
Ronnin
Object is dropped from a cliff of unknown height. I'm on another planet without the knowledge of the planet's gravitational acceleration. The object takes 4.15s to reach the bottom. Again, from the top of the cliff I toss the object upwards to a height of 2m then it falls back to the cliff bottom. This takes 6.3s.
I solved for the height of the cliff using the standard x=x+vt+1/2at^2 and yeilded -8.6115s^2(a). How can I move on with upward then downward equation with only knowing a=cliff height/8.6115s^2 and not knowing the initial velocity of the object being thrown upward. Any suggestions on what to start solving for first?

Physics news on Phys.org
When dealing with an object tossed upwards that is under a constant acceleration downwards, it is often easier to think of it as two problems:

In the first, the ball is thrown upwards, and stops 2m up. In the second, it is dropped freely from 2m above the clifftop. In the second you do know the initial velocity...

You have 3 unknowns, x, the height of the cliff, a, the acceleration, and u, the initial velocity in part 2. So you need 3 equations to find them. The first one, which you have, is [itex]x=\frac{1}{2}at^2_{1}[/itex], where t1=4.15s, the second one uses that same equation you quoted, but with different values for x, v and t, (use the second situation) and the third one is for the initial velocity u in terms of acceleration and distance only. You don't want to include the time, so do you know the equation you'll need? Think of a part of situation 2 where you know the distance and the final velocity. (Think about what the velocity of a body thrown upwards is at its maximum height.) Then you need to rearrange and substitute until you have the unknown you want. I hope this isn't too cryptic, I have a feeling it is. Just say if you don't follow me.

So am I right to solve for a in the first equation? Doest the second look like 2m=(8.6115s^2)a+vt+[(x/(8.6115s^2)t^2]/2 or am I way off?

Quick question. If I have 5m*s^2,then I square that do you get 25m^2*s^4 ? Reason I ask is the following. I setup an equation for the upward motion as follows. 0=V^2 + 2a(2meters) and wound up with V=2m(-a)^(1/2)

Last edited:

FAQ: Particle Movement w/o Knowing a or v

What is particle movement without knowing acceleration or velocity?

Particle movement without knowing acceleration or velocity refers to the motion of an object without information about its change in speed or direction. This can make it difficult to predict the exact path of the object.

How can particle movement be calculated without knowing acceleration or velocity?

Particle movement can be calculated using the equation d = v*t, where d is the distance traveled, v is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed. This equation assumes that the object is moving at a constant speed, and does not require knowledge of acceleration or velocity.

What are the limitations of calculating particle movement without knowing acceleration or velocity?

Calculating particle movement without knowing acceleration or velocity only provides an estimate of the object's path and does not account for changes in speed or direction. It also assumes that the object is moving at a constant speed, which may not always be the case.

Can particle movement without knowing acceleration or velocity be used to accurately predict an object's position?

No, because it does not account for changes in speed or direction, particle movement without knowing acceleration or velocity can only provide an estimate of an object's position. To accurately predict an object's position, information about its acceleration and velocity is needed.

How can particle movement without knowing acceleration or velocity be applied in real-life situations?

Particle movement without knowing acceleration or velocity can be applied in situations where the object is moving at a constant speed, such as a car on a highway. It can also be used to estimate an object's position over short distances, such as a thrown ball.