What is the Angle Between Velocity and Acceleration Vectors at t=(π/2w)?

In summary, the angle between the velocity and acceleration vectors of a particle moving in a plane described by the position vector r(t) = (2bsin(wt))i + (bcos(wt))j at time t=(π/2w) can be determined using the dot product of the velocity and acceleration vectors. Depending on the values of b and w, the angle can be approximately 27, 45, 63, or 90 degrees, or it may not be determinable. The formula for finding the angle is Cos-1(v * a / |v||a|) where v and a represent the velocity and acceleration vectors, respectively.
Yam

Homework Statement

A particle moves in a plane described by the position vector r (t)= ( 2bsin( wt ))i + ( bcos( wt ) )j
where b and w are some constants. The angle between its velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=(π/2w)

a) is approximately 27 degree .
b) is exactly 45 degree .
c) is approximately 63 degree .
d) is exactly 90 degree .
e) cannot be determined since b and w are not specified.

Homework Equations

differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

v(t) = (2bw(cos(wt)))i + (-bw(sin(wt))j
a(t) = (-2bww(sin(wt)))i + (-bww(cos(wt)))j

After that, how do i find the angles?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
How would you normally find the angle between two vectors?

What do you know about the dot product of two vectors?

I see, the dot product would represent the angle between 2 vectors. Gimme some time to work the exact solution out

Hi, is this formula correct? Or is this only for coordinates only?

So, the solution is Cos-1(0)=90 degrees?

Attachments

• 45.gif
    45.gif
    622 bytes · Views: 523
Last edited:
Yam said:
Hi, is this formula correct? Or is this only for coordinates only?

So, the solution is Cos-1(0)=90 degrees?
That's the right formula, but how do you get 0 for the dot product?

Related to What is the Angle Between Velocity and Acceleration Vectors at t=(π/2w)?

1. What is a particle on a position vector?

A particle on a position vector is a concept in physics that describes the position of a particle in space. It is used to determine the location of a particle in relation to a reference point or origin.

2. How is a particle's position represented by a position vector?

A particle's position is represented by a position vector in three-dimensional space. The position vector is typically denoted by r and is defined as the vector from the origin to the particle's position.

3. What is the difference between a position vector and a displacement vector?

A position vector represents the location of a particle in relation to a fixed reference point, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of a particle from one point to another. In other words, a displacement vector is a vector that connects an initial position to a final position.

4. How is the magnitude of a position vector calculated?

The magnitude of a position vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. It is the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector, which can be represented as √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2), where x, y, and z are the components of the vector in three-dimensional space.

5. Can a particle's position vector change over time?

Yes, a particle's position vector can change over time if the particle is in motion. As the particle moves, its position in space changes, and therefore its position vector also changes. This change in position vector can be used to calculate the particle's velocity and acceleration.